Fragging A chalice without a coral saw?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I recently saw a video on YouTube of a guy fragging a chalice with a pair of bone cutters. Has anyone ever done this? It looked like he was really rippi g the coral apart. If you have done this was it successful? Also are there any other methods to frag a chalice without a coral saw? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Kevin

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Anthony Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation," he describes dropping this type of coral on the concrete, picking up the pieces, collecting all of the frags. He describes this as being quite successful.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hammer and razor blade works like a charm... Just place a new blade where you wanna chop it and give it a light tap with hammer goes right through like butter...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried with bone cutters one time and it seemed to shatter the piece I was cutting off... The flesh held together but the skeleton was broke in like 8 places lol...

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate bone-cutter or side-cutters. They tend to shatter chalices rather then cut them. They are great for breaking up rocks that Zoas are attached to, or nipping off SPS branches; but they should stay in the drawer for LPS, IME.

A cheap rotary tool and diamond wheels from Harbor Freight are only $10-20 at the most.

OhYeah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hammer and razor blade works like a charm... Just place a new blade where you wanna chop it and give it a light tap with hammer goes right through like butter...

This sounds like it may work, going to give it a try.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut 15-20 chalice frags a couple weeks ago. I used toe-nail clippers ("bone cutters') they crack the skeleton not really cut it. then cut the flesh with a razor.
the trick is getting it to crack in the direction you want but it can be done.

and another thing having the skeliton crack in a few places on a single frag is nice if you arent gluing them to a plug ,the frag will bend in,over and around bumps on rubble rock you attach the frag to

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is when the chalice is on a rock than all that goes out the window although Troylee's method of hammer and razor balde and a tap sound like a winner

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 to this. I think that this causes the least damage to the chalice.

CJ

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back