Fragging a Hammer Coral

  • Thread starter Thread starter dastank
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Branching is best to use a diamond wheel, so you dont crush the skeleton trying to cut the branch off. Haven't messed with a wall, so I'm no help there. ;)
 
I haven't tried it, but I was told if you wrap a rubber band over the head, eventually it will start closing in and eventually seal itself off then you can use a wheel to cut it.
 
now ive never done this on a healthy specimen but have save a number that were rescues from petshops that had RTN i would just cut about a half inch into good flesh from the RTN either splitting in half or just cutting rotten part away the used jell superglue and sealed of exposed side almost making a new skeloton of sorts has worked everytime so should do the same on healthy coral.I just did above mentioned on a hammer ill post pic of what i did ,lights off right now so ill post tommrow.
 
heres a pic of one i just done not to long ago i made it suck in so you can see
acropics022.jpg
 
A guy in my local reef club just asked me if I was ever going to frag my wall hammer... cuz he likes it...but it is a great coral..and I don't want to chance killing it :( ... so I'm not sure I even want to try.
 
I have seen the type of method Weimers suggested used for wall type hammers before and it works the best and is the safest as far as I concerned. It takes more time cause you have to let the coral separate itself from under the rubber band but once the tissue separates you good to go.
 
Well rather that start a new thread i will revive an OLD thread....its on topic so i hope its ok... :P

Ok so i have done some research and it seems that the branching Hammer is very easy to frag.....if the branches are long enough...mine are at least a couple of inches long the problem is that there is live tissue on the entire branch. I have been waiting for it to expose the hard skeleton but it hasnt....i have read a couple of sites on line that state you can use a rubber band between the branches and the tissue will recede and then you can remove the rubber band and cut the area in order to separate the branches...Is this true?? I have a Hammer that has taken off and i really would like to frag it! Please help with some advice! Thanks

i'll try to get some pics tonight to show what i am talking about!
 
I just pull it out of the water, use a dremel and cut it right down the line you choose. Then drop it into a bucket for a 20 min, and back into the tank. Branching is much easier then wall.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new