Fragging a Pectinia

  • Thread starter Thread starter malira
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

malira

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2015
Messages
595
Reaction score
299
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been on the MARSH forum (out of Houston) for a while.

I know someone who is will in to frag his pectinia for me but the pieces he can frag do not have an eye.
If the frag does not have an eye could it stay alive and grow an eye?


Thanks for any help
 
I started my space invaders pectinia from just one of the outgrowths with no eye. I've since fragged it the same way for someone else. I had no problems at all.
 
While it certainly would be preferable for a mouth (eye) to be on your frag I should expect the frag to survive. While I haven't fragged a pectina with out an eye my conclusion is based on experience with other, similar corals.
I would defiantly encourage using a diamond tipped cutting tool and not "plier" style cutters. Having a clean cut will speed healing time and reduced the chance of infection.
 
Last edited:
I just clipped an outgrowth with SPS-style bone cutters. I prefer it to the dremel whenever possible.
 
This is encouraging. Just what I wanted to hear.

thanks guys
 
Lfs claims that when cutting, Dodge hitting the mouth and they live. Their issue was hit the mouth and the whole thing dies.
 
While it certainly would be preferable for a mouth (eye) to be on your frag I should expect the frag to survive. While I haven't fragged a pectina with out an eye my conclusion is based on experience with other, similar corals.
I would defiantly encourage using a diamond tipped cutting tool and not "plier" style cutters. Having a clean cut will speed healing time and reduced the chance of infection.
Sound advice. The eye less pectina should recover as I have seen them cut very small. They have a porous,ridged skeleton and I would prefer a coral saw for cutting.
 
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been on the MARSH forum (out of Houston) for a while.

I know someone who is will in to frag his pectinia for me but the pieces he can frag do not have an eye.
If the frag does not have an eye could it stay alive and grow an eye?


Thanks for any help
It has been a few weeks how is the piece healing up?
 
Not well. The pieces died. They tried to hang on but got to stressed. The guy who tried said it stressed him out. He won't do it again. I'm thankful he even tried.
 
That's too bad.Best of luck next time around!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new