fragging acro

RogerWilco357

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 18, 2010
Messages
627
Reaction score
5
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get the frags off your acropora do you just break the piece off or use a tool? If so what tool do you prefer? Is there a pair of snippers made just for this with a curve like the tools used for outside gardening the type that have a curved blade and one straight so it curves around the branch .that is what i would want to cut my acros a pair of snippers with a curved blade and straight blade anyone know where to find such a beast?
 
Coral Frag Kit | Propagation Tools | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Here is what you could order or maybe find around the house. Snippers will work well for sps(acro), as long as they're strong and make a clean cut. Remember you are cutting through bone. A quick dip, super glue gel, frag plug and you're done. Works for me. Some people use gloves and a dremel can be substituted also.
 
The day I got this changed the rest of my fragging life.....
Large Stony Coral Cutters | Boston Aqua Farms
The new Black plating is amazing, I sink into my reef to cut highly encrusted acro colonies and hardly do more than a good freshwater sink flush it is showing NO signs of corrosion anywhere, at just about 6 months of use.
 
The day I got this changed the rest of my fragging life.....
Large Stony Coral Cutters | Boston Aqua Farms
The new Black plating is amazing, I sink into my reef to cut highly encrusted acro colonies and hardly do more than a good freshwater sink flush it is showing NO signs of corrosion anywhere, at just about 6 months of use.

I'll have to look into those. I've been buying cheap dollar store angle cutters and replacing them when they get too nasty.
 
How do you get the frags off your acropora do you just break the piece off or use a tool? If so what tool do you prefer? Is there a pair of snippers made just for this with a curve like the tools used for outside gardening the type that have a curved blade and one straight so it curves around the branch .that is what i would want to cut my acros a pair of snippers with a curved blade and straight blade anyone know where to find such a beast?
This its the type I use.has a blue handle. Can't remember the name. Had it for years.
 
I usually just use my thumb and forefinger, the only ones your really dont want to do that with is birdsnest corals. They are too brittle and splinter rather than give a clean break.
 
I usually just use my thumb and forefinger, the only ones your really dont want to do that with is birdsnest corals. They are too brittle and splinter rather than give a clean break.
I agree that sometimes its easy to frag with the fingy's but it could potentially(if you're not careful) cause damage to the frag and your finger. I try and use bonecutters whenever I can for that reason.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new