Fragging advice needed on a large Toadstool Leather.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
5,614
Reaction score
80
Location
Spokane, WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a HUGE toadstool leather in my 46. It's getting way too large and is in mortal combat with a Torch coral. It's also just taking up too much room in the tank. I'm looking for some advice on how to frag it. The cap is, easily, 7" in diameter. The stock is nearly 4" in diameter and the entire colony stands atleast 12" tall.

Here's a picture of it, taken the end of May, 2008.
2530270251_19f04ee9d0_b.jpg


Here's a couple of pics I took last week, that show the growth. I can't wrap my hand around the stock.
3497947232_40e3f91f53_b.jpg


3497946566_32fe261e7b_b.jpg


And finally, here's a couple pics that show it's polyp extension. When it's happy, it'll extend it's polyps 2"-3". Madison, our 3 year old daughter, took the full tank shot with Angie's point and shoot Sony...lol. Not a bad lil' photographer.
3497146305_9bf3d444c9_b.jpg


3497963070_0035807172_b.jpg


Now to my tentative plan. I'm considering slicing the entire cap off, cutting rings of it and then cutting those rings into smaller frags. As I get close to where the cap connected to the stock, I'll change to pie cuts, through the center of the cap.

As for the stock, here's where I need some advice. I know if I just leave the stock alone, it'll eventually form another cap. However, the stock is just way too large for my tank. I'm considering cutting the stock into numerous cross sections, and then cutting those into pie pieces. I have no idea if these pieces will survive or not, but it's sounding like an interesting experiment...lol. Any thoughts?
 
When fraging leathers i awalys cut with a part of the stalk on the cap then trim the stalk down to a non huge size :P i have 50% luck with the excess stalk turning into another full coral. just my 2 cents!!! good luck with whatever you do with it :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new