Fragging chalice

ahammer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of all coral I am least successful fragging chalices. What do you do for successful chalice frags? I have used bandsaw, bone cutters, and razor blade. I always seem to lose more than I can keep. I dip in some iodine after I frag.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a band saw when fragging. Try not to cut directly thru eyes, and skip the iodine dip afterwards. Just put them back in the tank after fragging and let them heal

OP
OP
ahammer

ahammer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done that plenty and they just rot away over a week or so and die.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made single eye frags to mini colonies. Never had a loss after cutting.

OP
OP
ahammer

ahammer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. It may in fact be my band saw I use a diamond blade on a lowes brand band saw it works with everything else just fine. Do you use a gryphon or inland? I may need to invest in one. I have seen many videos utilizing those saws without issues.

Edit- I appreciate all of your input and assistance. Thank you

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an inland. This may sound dumb but are you using saltwater from your tank when cutting with the band saw?

OP
OP
ahammer

ahammer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4029.PNG
My blade doesn't utilize water while cutting so it is more of a dry cut. I just checked out inland site and if you take a read under "reduced heat transfer yields more viable frags" I believe to have found my issues as they specifically address chalice coral

aresangel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So drip water while cutting to reduce heat then? I have a scroll saw will that work/be fine?

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat can play a big part in the loss of your corals. I have an inland and don't believe I have lost any healthy chalices when fragging. This is the biggest issue with using a dremel and diamond blade. *heat* best of luck on future fragging. Keep us posted.

kevonstl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm about to frag my chalice too........will let u how it go....my first time fragging on monti didn't go well.....colony die and only 3 frags made it

kevonstl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gryphone saw but i used ro water and i think monti don't like it.......most people used tank water and don't have a problem. some using ro water but majority people used tank water. I lost a whole high end monti colony :(

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Band saw is a good start. I would definitely use saltwater. Please keep us posted on the chalice.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So drip water while cutting to reduce heat then? I have a scroll saw will that work/be fine?
I have a inland and have never had any issues. Both the inland and gryphon utilize a small water reservoir that drips water as you cut. Your issue I can almost guarantee was the heat caused from the friction of the blade. Would recommend spending the couple $100 on an inland or gryphon saw. . I hope this helps.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly. From time to tone people even sell used one for a good deal.

aresangel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a fellow Reefer and he dragged it up for me on his band saw. Super easy. The one thing he told me and I saw first hand @kevonstl is to pull extra tank water to soak them in. He did an iodine dip before placing it in about 3-4 gallons of water. There is A LOT of slime so be sure to rinse. I had all of my frags make it (7frags) about 1/2"x3/4" each.
A couple of mine healing over below.

05608d37b794e53409c12c3106d9ccc8.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back