Fragging colonies...will it encourage better / faster growth?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has seen this. I've got a blasto with 5 heads and was just wondering if I fragged it to single heads if they'd grow new heads any faster.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#lpsexperts any thoughts on this?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed in some of my zoas and mushrooms, that when they get an accidental injury from me messing with the tank or something falling on them etc... I sometimes get a bump in growth. Maybe it's a survival mechanism...

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed in some of my zoas and mushrooms, that when they get an accidental injury from me messing with the tank or something falling on them etc... I sometimes get a bump in growth. Maybe it's a survival mechanism...

That's a good way to put it...survival mode...exactly what I was thinking...hoping. :)

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On LPS I have not noticed any fast growth from fragging as the build a much larger and stronger skeletal structure than your sps

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you will get faster growth per say so much as exponential, let me explain. In theory you have a blasto with 3 heads and it can grow new heads on the outside of those 3. If you frag it into 3 pieces now each of those has more potential room to grow a new head and if they each grow 1 new head now you have 6 total heads and now if those 6 heach grow another now you have 12 total with 3 4-head colonies. This can thus be perpetuated. The heads dont grow faster than they normal would but the potential to grow more total new heads at the same time is higher.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you will get faster growth per say so much as exponential, let me explain. In theory you have a blasto with 3 heads and it can grow new heads on the outside of those 3. If you frag it into 3 pieces now each of those has more potential room to grow a new head and if they each grow 1 new head now you have 6 total heads and now if those 6 heach grow another now you have 12 total with 3 4-head colonies. This can thus be perpetuated. The heads dont grow faster than they normal would but the potential to grow more total new heads at the same time is higher.

That's a great point because two of the heads are completely surrounded so they'll have the opportunity to grow also.

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great point because two of the heads are completely surrounded so they'll have the opportunity to grow also.
Exactly, only thing is you will have lots of small colonies this way so its good if you wanna sell them but you wont have one large nice looking colony for a display tank.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, only thing is you will have lots of small colonies this way so its good if you wanna sell them but you wont have one large nice looking colony for a display tank.

Maybe I'll cut the two outer heads off and leave the other 3 together.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Evan.

According to the reef restoration guy, their research indicates that fragged coral does indeed grow faster.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys...Guess I'll be starting an experiment and see what happens.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of an old thread but I just had to post... I'm actually looking into growing corals next year and was curious about this idea of fragging a coral once it grows bigger instead of leaving it as a single large piece.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be cautious fragging LPS just for fear I might lose them. If I am fragging for profit then I might take the chance.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be cautious fragging LPS just for fear I might lose them. If I am fragging for profit then I might take the chance.

What I was thinking of doing is setting up a frag tank in my dorm room that will run for about a year. I buy all the corals from forum members and frag swaps. Once the year comes to an end I sell off all of the corals/frags to local shops and people for a discounted price. I guess I just hope that theyll grow out enough where it will be worth it and I'm not gonna loose money doing it haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back