Fragging Fail! What’s your worst reefing fail?

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I tried fragging coral for the first time today. Something very easy, Xenia coral and some green polyps. Had all the tools and seemed like it was going great. Cut off a piece of Xenia and brought it over to my fragging station.......which was my sink, When I tried to get the piece of Xenia out of the cup it fell into my hand and out of my hand and in to the sink and down the drain. I checked the trap and it wasn’t in there so it’s gone for ever. The piece was only about the size of a dime but still. I had to cut another piece off and it went well the second time. Very upset I literally threw coral down the drain. Any reefing fails you’d like to share post them below.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is bad, was it like a shatter and The tank was empty and seconds?
one was a large chunk of glass came off maybe a foot in diameter, and it was down to 2 inches of water in maybe 20 seconds hard to tell
the other was a point break about the width of a pen which I blocked with my hand, so it only emptied once we drained it.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fails revolve around making water. I'm not even going to try and count how many times I've started pumping water from the rodi container to the salt making container, waked away, and then ran back in a panic to find 30 gallons of water on the fish room floor. I should change my screen name to DoesntLearnFromHisMistakesDave.

Dave

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Gryphon band saw cut right through my index finger nail first and stopped after it "bounced" off of my finger tip bone. I was being kinda reckless thinking the corals needed to get back into the water asap. Now I know you have a few to work and not rush. You know they pump out salt water to lubricate the blade right? Feels so good in a freshly cut finger yum! I did not even think about Bacteria issues just wrapped it up kept on going. It stopped bleeding about two days later. nail still looks jacked up a year and half later. Got lucky for sure

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one was a large chunk of glass came off maybe a foot in diameter, and it was down to 2 inches of water in maybe 20 seconds hard to tell
the other was a point break about the width of a pen which I blocked with my hand, so it only emptied once we drained it.
At least the second one wasn’t as bad.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Gryphon band saw cut right through my index finger nail first and stopped after it "bounced" off of my finger tip bone. I was being kinda reckless thinking the corals needed to get back into the water asap. Now I know you have a few to work and not rush. You know they pump out salt water to lubricate the blade right? Feels so good in a freshly cut finger yum! I did not even think about Bacteria issues just wrapped it up kept on going. It stopped bleeding about two days later. nail still looks jacked up a year and half later. Got lucky for sure

5FB836BE-B827-4560-B71E-8FFE4BF1C864.gif

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fails revolve around making water. I'm not even going to try and count how many times I've started pumping water from the rodi container to the salt making container, waked away, and then ran back in a panic to find 30 gallons of water on the fish room floor. I should change my screen name to DoesntLearnFromHisMistakesDave.

Dave
You should get a 50 gallon water container

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow any possible way we could see a picture of your finger?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was fragging a torch coral with my buddy. As I was cutting with a cutoff wheel the base broke in half and the torch ripped away from skeleton. I glued back chunk of skeleton to keep torch together. Still going strong to this day that was last year.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Friend debone a chicken, a splinter from chicken bone pierced his thumb, got gangrene, had piece of thumb removed. Bummer

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently a frag of my Og bounce shrunk up, detached from its rock, and melted completely. Thankfully all the others are fine

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back