Fragging Rose Bubble Tip Anemones RBTA - How Big?

Aguaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup. I want to frag my RBTA, but am not certain how big he should be. He’s about 3.25 inches tip to tip. Anyone have any advice.

May the Force be with you.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly advise against manually fragging a BTA. They tend to split on their own once they get big enough or in response to environmental changes.

I recently transferred my BTAs into a new tank and they split like crazy.

You can also try to feed the BTA 3+ times a week. Seems to stress them enough to get them to split.

Swings in temp and salinity can cause them to split as well.

I find it best to just let them split on their own.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah. I would really advise against that. 3.5 inches is small for a BTA, it's still a juvenile, they get like a foot. Your chances of success are really slim. Btas are not corals, they split on thier own- sometimes- after a long process of creating 2nd mouths, tissues etc. There are people who do this but you are better off encouraging it to split by feeding a ton and offering great parameters, and letting it grow up so it can handle it.

OP
OP
A

Aguaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points.

I should have mentioned that I am trying to propagate them in a special propagation tank that will only hold these specific nems. I got the idea from a BRSTV video. I really like the idea of propagating or breeding animals, otherwise, I would not attempt to frag.

Video: https://binged.it/2LckmpX

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this is too small to manually propogate

U

User1

View Badges
Just because it was done, or you can, doesn't mean you should. I doubt the advise given in this thread will help sway you but in case it doesn't let me add to what has already been provided.

RBTA's, or any BTA for that matter, will naturally propagate as Mother Nature intended. It may not be at your speed or pace but it will happen naturally. I started with one in a 29 gallon bio cube and within a year had 2. Few months later 3. Moved one to another 29 gallon biocube and it split. Now I'm at 4 and tired of managing 2 tanks so combine them both into a 40 breeder. About a year goes by and I'm at 6. Then 7, then 9, give a few away, then said enough and planned an upgrade. 210 gallons later I'm at 12. I thought I had it bad then started to look at others and I saw a few that split so many times naturally (no feeding, healthy tank, etc) that they became plague proportions much like Xenia.

My point in this is is two fold. You can't speed up Mother Nature. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. More importantly is if you are considering this for residual income BTA's are pretty common regardless of what people call them. Personally I wouldn't attempt a forceful split. There really is no reason unless you are being impatient and that is a bad trait to have in this hobby (not directed at you just a general observation in our hobby).

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever tank you are putting them in isnt really the main point. Slicing a small young nem in half is just a poor idea with low chances of success. You can try stressing them into splitting or just maintaining a helathy tank and waiting. If your goal is to sell them, you should research correct propagation methods to encourage them to split, bc slicing up babies will probably just cost you more as you'll end up with dead nems. If you just want a nem tank for yourself- why not just go buy some more and spend your time seeing if you can get the correct parameters in the tank so they propagate naturally.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad idea.

If you keep them well fed, they will split quickly. I have a BTA that split in 7 months. Fed them freeze-dried krill 3 or 4 times every 10 days.

Would love to get them on separate rocks to spread them out and enjoy them more.

I've seen videos on manually splitting a Nem. It feels like splitting a Nem is someone who is VERY ADVANCED.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back