Mixing different bubble tip anemones

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very confident that is a smart toxin that hurt one BTA and not affect another BTA is essentially impossible. BTA is not that complex of an animal. The ocean is such a huge place that the practice of releasing toxin to the water to hurt your neighbor is not going to be much of an offense strategy, especially if the toxin release would also hurt the animal that releasing it. It is kind of like blow up a bomb at your house to hurt the people live next door. Nature is never that dumb.
Direct sting when it come in contact with the other animals is another matter, which is the strategy of all the reef animals when it wants to hurt the animal next to it in a tuff war. We do not see BTA sting each other, so we can conclude that they will live fine with each other. Other things can cause demise of an anemone, include infection that it is immune by some and not others. If there is death of one/several in a group of anemones that is not due to shading or to tank conditions (fault of the reefer), this is it.
We see this when populations mixed all the time. Introducing an animal that carries a disease that it is immune to but wipe out the native population (or vice versa).

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very confident that is a smart toxin that hurt one BTA and not affect another BTA is essentially impossible. BTA is not that complex of an animal. The ocean is such a huge place that the practice of releasing toxin to the water to hurt your neighbor is not going to be much of an offense strategy, especially if the toxin release would also hurt the animal that releasing it. It is kind of like blow up a bomb at your house to hurt the people live next door. Nature is never that dumb.
Direct sting when it come in contact with the other animals is another matter, which is the strategy of all the reef animals when it wants to hurt the animal next to it in a tuff war. We do not see BTA sting each other, so we can conclude that they will live fine with each other. Other things can cause demise of an anemone, include infection that it is immune by some and not others. If there is death of one/several in a group of anemones that is not due to shading or to tank conditions (fault of the reefer), this is it.
We see this when populations mixed all the time. Introducing an animal that carries a disease that it is immune to but wipe out the native population (or vice versa).
Usually a toxin that one release wouldn't hurt that organism since it's the one that produced it. Leathers can release toxins. In the wild your right not much but it can be a few inches thats all the space the coral needs. As it grows a few inches gives it more space to grow. Who's to say bta don't do the same thing.

As soon as I put a rose bta in my tank my thriving green bta started fading. Now all I have are roses and 2 black widows.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52
How can a toxin affect one BTA and not the other? Any toxin affect one animal will affect the same to another of the same species, because for all practical purpose they are the same. Even human with all out genetic knowledge cannot produce a toxin that affect one person not the other. This is only stuff of science fiction.
In order to be able to do this, the toxin need to be "smart" and differentiate anemone from the other.
We have cells in our body, not molecules, that recognize self vs non self. These immune cells would attack and neutralized cells in our body that it sees as "non-self". This is too much to pack into a molecule of toxin. Anemones have nematocysts that recognized non self and would fire them when it come in contact with other animals. Anemone does not sting itself because of this fail-safe mechanism. This in in direct contact, not release into the water.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52
How can a toxin affect one BTA and not the other? Any toxin affect one animal will affect the same to another of the same species, because for all practical purpose they are the same. Even human with all out genetic knowledge cannot produce a toxin that affect one person not the other. This is only stuff of science fiction.
In order to be able to do this, the toxin need to be "smart" and differentiate anemone from the other.
We have cells in our body, not molecules, that recognize self vs non self. These immune cells would attack and neutralized cells in our body that it sees as "non-self". This is too much to pack into a molecule of toxin. Anemones have nematocysts that recognized non self and would fire them when it come in contact with other animals. Anemone does not sting itself because of this fail-safe mechanism. This in in direct contact, not release into the water.
Because not all bta are the same species.

Humans are all the same species we are different ethnicities.

I'm telling you I had a thriving green bta. Nothing changed in the tank accept I added a rose bta. The decline of the green was as soon as the red entered the tank. They never touched. The only thing that changed was the red. There's plenty of people who have had the same experience.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm telling you I had a thriving green bta. Nothing changed in the tank accept I added a rose bta. The decline of the green was as soon as the red entered the tank. They never touched. The only thing that changed was the red. There's plenty of people who have had the same experience.
There are plenty of people with multiple green, red and different cultivar that live together.
The data we have are:

In some tank, various BTA clones live well together.
In some tank, some of the BTA clone died or not doing well.
There is no control in conditions of these tanks or how they are kept like feeding water change, light, current, tank mates, clownfish..... There is no control regarding various pathogens in these systems.

With these data and observation, it is illogical to conclude that these anemones that are not doing well or died as the result to chemical warfare, and not due to the numbers of variables.

Another piece of data that I have from experiences is that my anemones of various species are doing well in the same system. I even have Gigantea and Magnifica in the same rock for years.

These observations, they are doing well together, proof that there are no unseen undetected aggressions between them. The opposite observation, they did not do well together, does not proof that there is aggression between them because anemones can do poorly and died due to a number of causes.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A much more logical reason can be that the Red BTA carries a pathogen that it is immune to, but the green one is not. The pathogen infected the green one and it got sick and either recover or died.
That is why we don't release aquarium animals, or pets back to the wild, even in the same geographical area.
Release animals back to the wild required extensive quarantine and observation and testing, to minimize the problem of introducing pathogen to the native population.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 8" Acid Rain next to my 8" Black Widow.

1712777961364.png

Also in the same tank are a Colorado, Nexus Burst, Rainbow and Ultra Rainbow.

I kept the Acid Rain in a 10g tank with a mix of Rainbows and Ultra Rainbows for 3 years.

jormanvf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 8" Acid Rain next to my 8" Black Widow.

1712777961364.png

Also in the same tank are a Colorado, Nexus Burst, Rainbow and Ultra Rainbow.

I kept the Acid Rain in a 10g tank with a mix of Rainbows and Ultra Rainbows for 3 years.
Hello! Can I ask how do you run your system? Do you have carbon, UV Sterilizer?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Can I ask how do you run your system? Do you have carbon, UV Sterilizer?

For 3 years in the 10g, all I did was a 1g weekly water change and run carbon. That's it.

Now that I've upgraded the anemones into a tank with more space, I'll still be doing the weekly water changes, and still running carbon, but I'll also be adding a skimmer. Once I get a skimmer up and running, I might look into ozone as an eventual replacement for the carbon, but we'll see.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back