Fragging Zoa’s

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 Zoa frags coming later this week. I plan on taking them off the plugs and gluing to a couple of rock islands. My question is should i do the fragging the day the day they get here or should i leave them on the plugs on sand bed for a couple weeks to acclimate?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave them in the sand bed for at least a few days to recover from shipping. Then when they are fully open and recovered, you can mount them.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO if you have a quarantine system then keep the plug and let them acclimate a few weeks to reduce stress on the coral. But I do not xfer plugs directly into my main display anymore. There's more risk for something hitching in that way.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PRO TIP:

Id use cutting pliers to trim around the plug, while NOT DISTURBING the polyps, then glue the frag plug nub to whatever you're gluing to.

....then when the colony grows out well beyond the original plug you can find the original plug and pry that off and reglue it somewhere else in the tank to start a 2ND COLONY.

Ive done this for years to spread zoas thruout my DT...to the point where I've started 4,5,6 different colonies off the original frag plug nub

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PRO TIP:

Id use cutting pliers to trim around the plug, while NOT DISTURBING the polyps, then glue the frag plug nub to whatever you're gluing to.

....then when the colony grows out well beyond the original plug you can find the original plug and pry that off and reglue it somewhere else in the tank to start a 2ND COLONY.

Ive done this for years to spread zoas thruout my DT...to the point where I've started 4,5,6 different colonies off the original frag plug nub

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back