Fragging Zoas...

  • Thread starter Thread starter phil121
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

phil121

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a better question for the propogation thread but I'm not sure. For those of you who do frag your zoas, do you find it is better to do several polyps together or to do one polyp per frag disk and let them grow some? I want to frag some magicians I have so I can trade them, and wasn't sure which way is the one to go. Any thoughts? Just wondering if they spread better if there are already 2 or 3 or will they spread just as fast from 1?
 
trying to seperate only one polyp may do damage to it , and then handling and gluing it , when i frag mine they peel up in a cluster then i gently glue it to whatever
 
OK, but why is a cluster better? Not trying to start anything, just wondering why you are saying a cluster is better.

Couple things I could think of:

1) Simple ratios. Say 1 baby per polyp per month. A 1 polyp frag will have 2 polyps after 1 month. A 3 polyp frag will have 6 polyps per month. By taking away more from your original, you give the original colony more room to grow as well.

2) Odds. Your odds are better if you take a couple off than if you try to butcher one off. You can leave the inner edges in tact when you cut around a group of polyps. Less heal time this way as well.
 
Yeah, that all makes sense. Thanks. When I frag, I typically don't do just one polyp, unless I can cut it off rock and all. kind of like if it was on the very end of a piece of dead acro or something.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new