Frags with potential

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

As you know, we're big on coral frags. One of the best things about frags are that they are typically affordable, convenient, and interesting. There is something innately satisfying about "growing your own" from a frag to a show specimen or colony, and then getting to brag about it when visitors come to see your tank. And better yet, when you give a cutting away to a fellow reefer of a colony that you grew from a frag, it really takes it full circle!

That being said, here are a few frags from our collection that you might want to consider. We think these guys have great potential to grow into spectacular colonies over time!

IMG_8436orangeeyemycedium1inch58.jpgUC.jpg

Orange Eye Mycedium- This is a very easy "Chalice" to work with, and it has great contrasting colors and interesting growth morphology. Like all Chalices, it will benefit from frequent feedings. It doesn't need to be blasted with light, but does adapt to higher lighting regimens if you do it very slowly. And the colors...well, they just get better as the coral grows! Very underrated!
Mycedium sp.- Orange Eye Mycedium Chalice - 1" WYSIWYG Frag

IMG_8352ultragoni58-UC.jpg

"Ultra Goniopora" (Goniopora pandoraensis)- As "Gonies" go, we've had great luck with this compact, attractive species over the years personally, and with our business. These frags typically grow very steadily and rather quickly if you provide them with regular feedings, good flow, and moderate to bright light. The key to success with this species seems to be to start out with a healthy specimen or frag. And we do offer very healthy frags!
Goniopora pandoraensis. - Ultra Pinkish Goniopora 1" WYSIWYG Frag

IMG_8424Insignis1inch38.jpgUC.jpg

Acropora insignis - One of the nicest, most colorful Acros, if you ask me. This species has a really nice, bushy growth once it get's going, with very nice contrasting colors. Our frags are fully encrusted at the base, so the coral is now ready to start it's vertical growth. We like this frag because, in our opinion, a fully encrusted frag has done its "groundwork", completing it's "foundation", and is now ready to use its energy to form new branching growth. With bright lighting and strong water movement, as well as regular feedings), you will see almost immediate growth in this species!
Acropora insignis - Insignis Acro 1.5" WYSIWYG Encrusted Frag

IMG_845tyreerainbowmonti-78-UC.jpg

Rainbow Monti (Montipora danae) - My personal favorite of the encrusting "monties". This is a Dan Rigle morph, which means it's super colorful, well healed and encrusted, and has been very well fed. Like us, Dan loves to feed his corals. In our opinion, this coral - and most others, for that matter- always respond very well to regular feedings, on top of good lighting and water quality. Again, a frag that is well encrusted on the plug will use it's energy for growth, instead of survival. That's why we cringe when we see people advertising "fresh cuts". That is the most vulnerable time for most corals, when they are most susceptible to bacterial infection, etc. Healed frags categorically do better, and this one is no eception!
Montipora sp.- DR Tyree "Rainbow Monti" Approx. 1" WYSIWYG Frag

IMG_8396Lorpies1andaquarter40.jpgUC.jpg

Acropora loripes - Another one of our favorite corals for frags. Why? It's almost "bulletproof", it's colorful, and very unique. These frags encrust very well, and begin branching growth almost immediately. The key with frags of this species is to get them into an area of your reef where they get good flow, and have room to expend. They respond very well to feeding, and seem to do well under a variety of lighting regimens. They are super hardy, and rarely go down due to shipping traumas or mishandling, so they are a great "first acro" frag, in our opinion. Good water quality is important! And the colonies they grow into look really cool!
Acropora loripes - Purple and Green Loripes Frag 1.25" Fully Encrusted WYSIWYG

So, there you have it. a little rundown of five great frags with awesome potential!

Frags are a great way to expand your reefkeeping horizons, and they are a responsible, sustainable way to practice - and propagate- the art of reef keeping!

We'd love to see some shots of frags from UC that you've grown out into larger specimens. That's always the fun thing to see!

Happy Reefing,

Scott Fellman
Joseph Caparatta
Unique Corals

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome honing Scott ill be making a order soon. You still have those la lakers also

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome honing Scott ill be making a order soon. You still have those la lakers also

We love frags, Dave!

Yep we still have the LA LAkers, and unlike our favorite local basketball team, these AREN'T fading out! LOL

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back