Framed Aquariums

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, yes this is going to be another thread on do I really need a frame on the aquarium. But hear me out, this thread might just be a bit different than the others.

I will admit that if you ask me, if the manufacture put a frame on it, it needs a frame on it. But what if one manufacture makes their tank with a frame and another doesn't?

IE: I just picked up a 120 gallon tank, 48x24x24. Its an older tank, full 1/2" glass. I believe its an Oceanic made tank but cannot confirm 100%. The frame is cracked top and bottom in multiple places and missing the center brace completely. Guy said he hasn't had a center brace on it in over 4 years that its been running. He did measure the tank with water in it for me, and there was zero measurable bow in the glass. So that got me thinking. I did some research and found that other manufactures that make tanks of this size in rimless variants also use 1/2" glass. Specifically, Planet Aquarium's 120 and Waterbox Aquarium's INFINIA Reef 150.4 both tanks use 12mm (1/2") glass. Out of curiosity, I used an aquarium class thickness calculator and 0.47" glass passes at a 3.8 safety factor.

So with all that said, in this particular case. Is there really a need for frame? My gut says yes, but the evidence says no.

I'm also wondering what other factors might be at play that affect the structural integrity of the tank. Such as, overall quality of the glass, is there different silicone that is used in instances of rimless aquariums that have a higher bonding strength, ect. Are these things I'm just overlooking? I'm not sure, and I'm really just looking for other's opinions and knowledge in this area.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you take the frame off, the glass IMO looks like crap without beveling. That's a reason to leave it on for me.
Fair point. I can bevel by hand though. Plus I’ll have a hood. So looks isn’t the concern for me I guess.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic frames around the rim do not provide any significant structural strength. They mostly provide protection from impacts and maybe some minor protection against a base that is not completely level as well as a rim to mount a screen or top. Plastic cross braces do provide strength against bowing, but I would agree that a 4 ft 120 gal with 1/2" glass does not need a cross brace. Oceanic tanks were very conservatively built compared to today's standards.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back