Free living after bailout!

  • Thread starter Thread starter rt456
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rt456

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 18, 2022
Messages
58
Reaction score
51
Location
Pert, Weatern Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unusual survival story from my reef.

This Acanthophyllia (“meat coral”) was originally a white and green specimen that declined badly in my display tank. After being moved to a frag system it appeared completely dead, with no visible tissue remaining on the skeleton for weeks.

Several weeks later I noticed a small patch of living tissue, approximately 2 cm across, on the skeleton. It slowly expanded before apparently disappearing again. Assuming the coral had finally died, I largely ignored it for another month.

While rearranging the frag tank I discovered that the coral had not recovered on the skeleton at all. Instead, it appears to have undergone polyp bailout. A free-living disc of tissue, around 3 cm across, was living independently in the tank with no apparent skeletal structure attached.

The coral has now survived in this state for several months. It continues to inflate and deflate normally, responds to feeding cues, and actively accepts food including baby brine shrimp and coral foods.

Photo show the coral feeding today.

I’m curious whether anyone else has observed long-term survival of a bailed-out Acanthophyllia polyp, and whether any skeletal redevelopment was eventually observed.


20260610_180110_A57BC4E2-9CB2-401C-A8C0-9006852FE830.png
 
For Me Yes to answer but ended up being a long drawn out disappointment. I wish you better luck. I believe that is how Real Coral reefs bleach out from a long ago read
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new