Free Swag Pack Giveaway - Drawing Date: Nov 8th - claimed!

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maintenance supervisor at my apartment complex offered to help me build my first sump from scratch (off hours, of course). After a successful plumbing job, he decided he wanted to get into the hobby himself! We're now looking at tanks to make his build bigger than mine :D

jeffreylapierre1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs I go to a lot well the story is I was having really bad times with my reef tank couldn't figure it out why I was having just a really hard time with my coral and why my tank kept crashing so the owner came to my house free of charge till we figured everything out it took over a month to get all the loose ends tied up and everything running right now my tank is amazing everything growing the tank was a year old at the time of all of this so it wasn't that It was juming the gun and not letting it cycle ya no but ya thank's to him I'm still in this hobby with put him I probly would of Givin up and sold everything

jwhann6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got started in the hobby when I was at a LFS and there was a learning seminar going on. I went over and listened to the employee talk about the beneficial bacteria rock could provide in a reef tank. At the end of the seminar I went up and asked the employee a few questions and he offered to give me all of the rock he used for the seminar for free and he also ended up giving me one of his old tanks to get started. A gesture I'll never forget!

XxCADUDExX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy 40 lbs of dry rock to start my reefer 170 from a local reefer. He ended up giving it to me for free.

IMG_2643.JPG

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lazylivin has helped me out from the beginning. I had set up my tank with advice from the LFS and a lesser experiences saltwater enthusiast. Once I wanted to get coral, he has really helped me out with advice and also many free/discounted frags. Now the apprentice has become the master and from time to time I can help him out.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy username Pete polyp sent me some zoas and mushrooms awhile back. I had to pay for shipping but it was pretty cool.

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my last crash in 2013 I lost all my sps, which is to say I lost all my corals. I ended up driving to durham (about 2.5hrs) to meet a guy from my local forum to grab a few sticks. Before I left he had given me more high end sps than I could have ever imagined, I'm talking Tyree, JF, RR, CC, and the list goes on. Since then we gave become good friends and as my tank has matured (again lol) he has run into a couple not so great patches, and I have been able to return the favor :)

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most generous reef club members I've ever come across where the BAR members while I lived in the San Jose, CA area. I couldn't count the times I went to pick up a frag from a member through there DBTC program or just to buy one where I didn't walk away with half a dozen or more additional premium SPS frags at no cost. The SPS collection in that group was amazing and the generosity of all it's members in sharing rare specimens around the club was awesome.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who completely bent over backwards to help me get started in the hobby. He helped set up my tank and pointed me right here to R2R. The best advise i had gotten yet! Now I'm able to return the favor with a few people I've met.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this story counts! They arent a fellow reefer but they saved my tank and everyone in it

Hurricane mathew was approaching and i could not prepare the tank in anyway.being coastal florida, and on the edge of a cat 4 hurricane Power failure was going to happen and i expected a dead tank.

I was shipped out thursday am to work to not returne home untill today, saturday morning. Power was out all night but mercifully the fish were still kicking. Barely. And gasping. A neighbor asked me how things were when i got home and i explained. Minutes later he had un hooked his house from the generator and wheeled it to me....sacrificed his comfort for the tank. And for that i am grateful! As of an hour ago power was restored and everyone isalive and well.

He was a fellow reefer, he just didnt know it.
Very nice story:)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got started years ago a guy at work invited me over to his house to see his fish. I instantly fell in love with the whole aspect of this hobby. At the time I couldn't afford a tank or anything but he was in the middle of upgrading his 180 to a 220. He asked me to help him move the 180 and then the new 220 into place. He gave me his 180 gallon setup all of it lights rocks sump skimmer everything for helping him out. One day I can't wait to give a tank away to someone who is in need just like I was.

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend on Youtube drive over 6 hours to come up to Mass to help me completely set up my new tank build! And, he didn't charge me anything except a full tank of gas! Great Guy!.. I recently sent a couple gadgets to a fellow YouTuber who needed some stuff! The YouTube community is thriving and everyone is super nice and helpful! Check us out!

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My story kind of has two parts I have never been on forums but I wanted to start a saltwater tank so I started getting on the Internet and looking around I came to reef2reef and everybody was kind there was one person in particular that talk to me periodically that I could ask questions to where I didn't feel like I was bothering them will then one day I had a really bad experience and this person actually made me want to quit everything that I was doing I stayed in I thought very hard about it for a few days because I was loving the things and I like new people to know what a great Community this is, so I always make an extra special point when anybody new comes on to the website of giving this great big spill on how wonderful and how many people help with their knowledge in the saltwater community and in my way that gives the site integrity so we're doing that it makes me feel myself that there is good in this community but sometimes it's just hard to find so when you do find it grab it and don't let go because the people will be there for you when you need them.

PolackoTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had met multiple great reefers in my reefing journey but I'd have to say the best was when I 1st started and was looking on Craigslist of all places for my 1st coral because I wanted something cheap just in case my tank wasn't ready...I bought a zoa rock with common green zoas and the guy ended up giving me a colony of blasto merletti, a pair of clowns(that his kids picked out and loved, I still send pics of the clowns to him because his kids want to know that they are still safe) a rock full of different Shrooms..there was quite a few more things including a new bucket of tropic Marin pro salt. He was shutting his tank down obviously but he could of easily sold this stuff he decided to give to me cause he seen how dedicated I was . And sure enough he was right. I absolutely love this hobby!

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined this site.. which is an amazing group of people. Asked to borrow a hole saw for my tank as I was setting up my first tank.. and wanted it drilled. One man on here was quick to respond and send me his bit... free of charge and free shipping. I sent it back with all the appreciate in the world to this site and great ppl of this hobby.. thank you all for everything.

leenewcastle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first experience talking to other reefers as the people around me are sick of hearing it. I have to say everyone seems great and look forward to increasing my knowledge.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend gave me 3 beautiful fish from his tank to add some diversity to my tank.

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite parts about reefing is buying and trading coral with other hobbyiest. When I was buying a few corals from a guy that was a little over an hour away, he gave me a free coral for driving so far to meet him. Love this hobby and all of the great people along the way! God is great!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lucky enough to have some great fellow local and distant reefers. @twilliard has helped me with lots of advice and hooked me up with a IV style doser he uses, @jsker has become a friend and threw in a couple of frags with an order from WWC since he lives close by, local guys have given me a water proof blanket for maintenance times, frags, and good advice also.

Most important, I have felt welcomed amongst strangers. I've never met a reefer who is a stranger actually. we all hold a common bond, it's really neat!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back