free tank but in horrible hair algae shape

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been given a l00 gallon tank and it is fishless and waterless. problem is it is covered with green hair algae. was considering filling it with rodi water and massive dosing with magnesium along with blackout. am looking for any input on ways to make it free of algae. I already have a 100 gal and this tank is doing good so i think lighting both natural and artificial can be replicated when i get it clean. thanks

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been given a l00 gallon tank and it is fishless and waterless. problem is it is covered with green hair algae. was considering filling it with rodi water and massive dosing with magnesium along with blackout. am looking for any input on ways to make it free of algae. I already have a 100 gal and this tank is doing good so i think lighting both natural and artificial can be replicated when i get it clean. thanks
Scrub it with vinegar or bleach obviously rinse multiple times empty dry and fill. No expert just opinion Do this a lot for lots of reasons I had same situation it was filled with rocks no coral just scrubbed rocks constantly as had fish in it. no chemicals took 6 months but worked

OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hair is dried and i cleaned and scraped glass and some areas, but the tower section especially the inside looks like a 4 lb black widow could come crawling out. i will be replacing the pump. took all the rocks out, will probably do them separate. citric acid sounds good, never used it before. does directions indicate the acid to water ratio, and i assume it is friendly to the various seals and stuff in the pump area.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fill it and add a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. After 72 hours, scrape off with a plastic putty knife and finish off clean with an algae sponge and rinse well

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd bleach the rock, jmo

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill it and add a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. After 72 hours, scrape off with a plastic putty knife and finish off clean with an algae sponge and rinse well
I use a utility knife blade on my one glass aquarium I repeat glass

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back