In your experience, what eats hair algae?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for personal anecdotes of herbivores that eat Green Hair Algae.

Do you have something you’ve seen eat green hair algae?

This is what my hair algae looks like. They are small parches spread throughout the tank. My tank is almost 2 years old, and I never dealt with hair algae until now.

IMG_8028.jpeg

IMG_8028.jpeg

2/6/24 update

The only thing that ate the derbesia hair algae was a desjardini tang. It completely cleaned it. I can’t find a single piece of it.

Last edited:

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole tank was mobbed by gha a few months ago. I added a tuxido urchin, 3 turbo snails and 6 astraea snails to my 75 gallon. Those coupled with manually pulling the big chunks has it licked now. After i pulled a section a stuck the turbos on it and they mowed down all the stubbs. Worked great!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, most herbivores would eat GHA.

But really - a good amount of tangs, Strombuses (Conch) and Turbo snails, a couple of Stomatellas, one lawnmower Blenny and an Urchin would do the job just right both cleaning it up first as well as maintaining it short for the long run.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0

I was recommended a Bullet Goby by eatbreakfast, which I already ordered.

I wanted some other options, too.

Get a Dr. Reef's wild caught court jester goby. Their main diet in the wild is green hair algae. they also sell a captive bred one, but the wild will apparently eat it way more.

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bristletooth tang I had the same problem in my tank and put one of those guys in there make sure you have a big enough tank and they are great to watch and see and they get the job done

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a Dr. Reef's wild caught court jester goby. Their main diet in the wild is green hair algae. they also sell a captive bred one, but the wild will apparently eat it way more.
I have a Hector's goby, which is very similar, and it doesn't put much of a dent in hair algae. They're slender fish that max out around 2", so they just don't eat much.
(Also, I've not heard good things about Dr. Reef. Something about shipping and disease issues.)

A tuxedo urchin is a good bet. You'll have to pull long tufts out by hand (ideally with gloves on in case of things tangled inside) to allow most invertebrates to get a good bite on the stuff, but an urchin will mow it down if it's relatively short, and a tuxedo should cause minimal other trouble.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update and edit. I came home with 10 urchins, but I put 6 of the really big ones in my QT tank that I will exchange tomorrow.

@Derrick0580 was right, there is a big risk of them bulldozing the acros.

I will only keep the small ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 urchins? Hope all your corals are glued down quite well!!
Honestly, that’s why I’ve avoided the urchins and originally went with the sea hares. I think I’ll exchange them for more mexican turbos tomorrow. Thank you.

Last edited:

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UPDATE: Look at post #13 for the update on what I did.
Well you already made the plunge, but...saltwater acclimated mollies.

reputedly Urchins will gobble algae... micro & macro, including coralline algae.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that’s why I’ve avoided the urchins and originally went with the sea hares. I think I’ll exchange them for more mexican turbos tomorrow. Thank you.
They are kinda fun like that though, as long as all the little stuff is pretty solid, you are good. Mine havent picked up any big frags, but definitely some frag plugs with zoas. They like zoas for whatever reason. This one has been wearing these scrambled eggs for over a month now. They both seem happy, and the yellow pop makes it easy to spot the urchin. Also, the rock it is on was covered with hair algea, havent touched it in a month either. Just a few tiny stems left to go, but it, like my hairline, is receeding.
1000007004.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UPDATE: Look at post #13 for the update on what I did.
Have a long spine urchin that destroys all plant matter. Also eats coralline algae and some corals. So not the best. But it is SO cool and my oldest anything besides live rocks.
My display tank has Hermit crabs, Desjardini Sailfin, Blue Tang, Foxface, Coralline Beauty, Turbos. Some small algae directly in front of the powerheads. It’s mostly clean.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

So my tank has recently started getting a LOT of small green hair algae spots. I tried sea hares and they did NOT touch it.

I just came home from the LFS. I did it.

I came home with 10 urchins and 10 mexican turbos.

These are the mexican turbo snails
My solution every time and they both do a great job. Just be careful with your clams. They are bulldozers!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution every time and they both do a great job. Just be careful with your clams. They are bulldozers!
I decided I’ll exchange 6 of the massive ones I bought, and keep the 4 small urchins tomorrow.

Those big urchins will cause me not to sleep at night lol. I have the really big ones in my QT.

Hopefully there will be some changes around Miami’s reef lol. Herbivores all the way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back