Tangs that eat brown hair algae

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Posting after a while. Due to being super busy have not had time to do water changes regularly. So hair algae have stated to creep up slowly and now it has taken over. Tank is about 4.5 years old. Tried to manual remove 2 times to no avail. Thinking of adding a tang as some of my fellow reefers recommended here.
What type of tang you think is the best to take out brown hair algae? Currently have a single scopas tang that does not even touch it. Hopefully a tang that can be found in Sri Lankan/ Indian waters.
Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-16 at 19.21.31_fa1180ee.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the fat lipped bristle tooth’s will tackle that…lip prints on glass to follow

Edit add ewww … maybe cop a urchin also
3rd edit: ya know you could spot treata few of those spots with drug store grade peroxide…. a few blaster blast and that stuff will fizzle directly

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Any of the fat lipped bristle tooth’s will tackle that…lip prints on glass to follow

Edit add ewww … maybe cop a urchin also
3rd edit: ya know you could spot treata few of those spots with drug store grade peroxide…. a few blaster blast and that stuff will fizzle directly
Thanks. I have a an acralic tank. So from what I heard can't use urchins. have to read up on peroxide use also i guess. Was thinkinking maybe can handle with a good tang and about 70% water change :).
So you would think Bristle tooth is the best option out of powder blue, unicorn, naso, clown or a fox face right?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Thanks. I have a an acralic tank. So from what I heard can't use urchins. have to read up on peroxide use also i guess. Was thinkinking maybe can handle with a good tang and about 70% water change :).
So you would think Bristle tooth is the best option out of powder blue, unicorn, naso, clown or a fox face right?
Fox face is a really good for algae. For the tangs yeah bristletooth for sure. Also could get a sea hare, they plow through that like no ones business.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back