Fresh Restart. Sand or No Sand?

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I saw a thread about the pros and cons of using sand compared to no sand. Can’t for life of me find it. Any one possibly have the thread link?

moved into my new house about 2 months ago and finally to the point where I’ll be setting back up my 300xl. Just a few details to think over still. Like to have sand or not.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A while back I saw a thread about the pros and cons of using sand compared to no sand. Can’t for life of me find it. Any one possibly have the thread link?

moved into my new house about 2 months ago and finally to the point where I’ll be setting back up my 300xl. Just a few details to think over still. Like to have sand or not.
This one from BRStv maybe?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this should help

consider these details:

how large are these threads/decent sample size of large tanks? yes. very large. shows likelihood over months running.

interspersed with perfect tanks, the tanks you read about where sand behaves perfectly

but how many of these examples are those types of tanks? as you can see, the far majority have problems with sand over time, and we had to develop careful means of working with that aging. consider just these two threads for how your sandbed is 90% likely to manifest:

Fishguy530

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the BRS videos. I ended up going with sand (Caribsea sea special grade).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reported patterns are just gold. We can see in summary for link one, that we pre rinse the sand to total cloudlessness and then they stick stir it to prevent buildup right at the start.

and then below link #2 is dealing with all conventional reefs when they’re packed with waste but not mixed up or disturbed. Our first few links are examples of total losses from sand problems in beds allowed to sit and build up, and the rest of the fifty pages is showing how we clean all systems back to cloudlessness in order to effect safe moves and invasion fixes.

in between options you can see some folks never have to do either and their tank works great. Those are the type that usually win five bucks or better on most scratchoff attempts. When I try it the gas station just gets my money.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On all my old tank I ran bb and loved it so easy to clean and way not . On my new tank I went with sand there are fish I want to keep but couldn’t with no sand . I think it will just be a little more work but I enjoy cleaning my tank and keepin it clean as I can

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand is not for lazy people, if you lazy go with Bare Bottom. i see so many successful tanks using sand.

LeftCoastBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing I’ve seen with BB is the start up is a longer process? Thought it was mainly for high flow tanks. Could be wrong thou, I’m also doing a ton of research as I’m getting back into the hobby

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand is not for lazy people, if you lazy go with Bare Bottom. i see so many successful tanks using sand.
bare bottom is not for lazy people either. That pocket of detritus gather so fast that you will need to either be diligent in siphon it out couple times a week, or learn to tolerate looking at that pocket of poop for the most time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back