Friend or Enemy?

richserpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All:

Noticed these little black bumps on a few of my Astreas. Not sure what they are. Took one snail out and tried to pick it off but it wouldn't budge. Next step is the needle nose .pliers but I'd like to know if it;'s a good guy or a bad guy first. Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated TIA
image0(1).jpg
image1(1).jpg
image2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All:

Noticed these little black bumps on a few of my Astreas. Not sure what they are. Took one snail out and tried to pick it off but it wouldn't budge. Next step is the needle nose .pliers but I'd like to know if it;'s a good guy or a bad guy first. Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated TIA
image0(1).jpg
image1(1).jpg
image2.jpg
Need clearer pics and closer under white light. May be collanista snails but hard to confirm

OP
OP
R

richserpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need clearer pics and closer under white light. May be collanista snails but hard to confirm
Just picked this guy off one of my Mexican Snails. Has all the characteristics of a limpet. Had to pry him off with needle nose pliers. Still not sure if he's a good guy or a bad guy. Doesn't appear to be a keyhole limpet. Must have come in on one of the coral plugs I just planted in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 15

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this guy off one of my Mexican Snails. Has all the characteristics of a limpet. Had to pry him off with needle nose pliers. Still not sure if he's a good guy or a bad guy. Doesn't appear to be a keyhole limpet. Must have come in on one of the coral plugs I just planted in the tank.
Harmless/beneficial:
Yeah, looks like either a Slipper Limpet (genus Crepidula) or a Hoof Snail (taxonomic family Hipponicidae) - both are harmless; slipper snails are filter feeders, and hoof snails feed by extending a long proboscis (think like an elephant's trunk) to eat either their host snail's waste or any food it can reach from its host's back.

OP
OP
R

richserpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured as much. Got some growing on my Astreas as well......I'll let them be until they start to cover the host's shell.....then adios.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Has the body of a cerith snail but could also be a small abalone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back