Friend or Foe?

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I wanted to ask if anyone has seen this type of snail before. I purchased a christmas tree rock and found it on the rock. A quite a few hitchhikers actually but the black snail is what really surprised me. Looks like a black stomatella but ive never seen one before and want to make sure.

20231229_153256.jpg 20231229_153310.jpg 20231229_150134.jpg 20231229_150025.jpg

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like a black Stomatella to me.
I just dont know if to keep it. Ive read some mixed opinions on these. Some say they eat algae and others say the eat sps. Which is a little cocerning given the fact that the coral on the rock is a porites which is an SPS i think?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dont know if to keep it. Ive read some mixed opinions on these. Some say they eat algae and others say the eat sps. Which is a little cocerning given the fact that the coral on the rock is a porites which is an SPS i think?
I've heard that some Elephant Slugs (Scutus spp.) may go after SPS on occasion, but I don't think I've heard anything negative about Black Stomatellas specifically.

Edit: For clarification, Elephant Slugs often look basically like giant Stomatella snails, and they're frequently black in color too.

OP
OP
drewsreef

drewsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that some Elephant Slugs (Scutus spp.) may go after SPS on occasion, but I don't think I've heard anything negative about Black Stomatellas specifically.

Edit: For clarification, Elephant Slugs often look basically like giant Stomatella snails, and they're frequently black in color too.
Yeah ive been comparing the two but im pretty sure its a stomatella snail. I put in the tank and im going to keep an eye on it. I read black stomatellas are rare and pricey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back