Friend or foe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter prsnlty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2011
Messages
7,541
Reaction score
5,049
Location
Citrus Co, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1395763785173.jpg


Jackie
 
Some say friend some say foe. Definitely Coralline algae eaters. The pure white ones like I have in my tank seem to be harmless. Never bothering my corals. Just eating some green & coralline algae. While the darker ones or two tone ones have been proven to be zoa munchers.
The ones in your pic are definitely eating coralline.
 
Foe get them out quick. they have quickly overtaken my tank and have killed some zoas for sure. Dark greys are bad. I got a harliquen shrimp and they are still out of control.
 
I say 'friend' in general, have had many 100's in my Reeftanks for decades without major concerns. My Wrasses do seem to keep them somewhat in check population wise and will occasionally pull out the larger ones while cleaning off glass as they tend to scratch acrylic when mowed over with the magnetic scraper.

Cheers, Todd
 
Thanks everyone. I think I'll be doing some dipping to get them under control. Just a few rocks at a time. I will be killing off (I pray) some aptasia at the same time. The tank is balanced out nicely and I don't want to mess that up.
 
I say 'friend' in general, have had many 100's in my Reeftanks for decades without major concerns. My Wrasses do seem to keep them somewhat in check population wise and will occasionally pull out the larger ones while cleaning off glass as they tend to scratch acrylic when mowed over with the magnetic scraper.


Cheers, Todd
I agree
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new