Fritz salt

wake122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone else is using Fritz salt (blue box) has it been mixing very dirty lately? I checked my RODI and it is coming out 0 ppm. I mix my salt water in brute trash can and I clean it out once I start seeing build up. I cleaned it out recently and then started my normal mixing process and it already needed to be cleaned again after the first batch of salt I made. It was also very white and I wasn't able to see to the bottom in it. So I though I might have done something wrong so I drained that water washed it out again. I added the salt slower than I typically do to let it mix thoroughly and it still happened again. Heat is at the normal range and the power head I use to mix it was acting normal. I added the water to one of my spare tanks and and added filter floss to it and the water cleaned up within an hour or so. Anyone know what is going on? Is the salt dirty or what? I thought it might be participating out that's why I added it slower but it didn't seem to change anything. I typically add 7 cups (not actually cups) of salt to my water and I usually add them all at once and I have never had a problem doing it this way before. When I added it slower I split it up about half and half ( so like 3 1/2 cups and same about 4 hrs later).

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you heat the water first?

Do you put a pump in that tends to run very hot?

I have much better luck mixing at room temp or lower and using a pump which creates very little heat. Once mixed to the right approx salinity give it the heat and a faster pump for a final mixing.. then a final adjustment of salinity.

My main point is now that I mix at a lower temp i do not have that issue like I did in the past with diff salts.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a bit of grime build up with the Fritz I use but it comes and goes. Doesn’t depend on whether it’s a new now or an opened box. I mix mine up and let it sit with a heater and pump for months. I use it for water changes and critter cultivation so I always like to have it ready. Not sure the grime is much of a problem based on a bit of interwebz reading

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I hope that doesn’t start happening to me! I Haven’t had an issue yet. I usually put 2.5 cups of Fritz in a 5G bucket of RODI with a power head in it. Honestly I’ve never used a heater since it’s such a small amount of water nonetheless it mixes fine and is clear with in 15 minutes I let it sit for a couple hours before the water change. I purchased the box of salt back in April.

Brent Harpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same issue never had it before these last 2 boxes. I hope their quality isn’t starting to take a ****. Parameters seem ok. But rodi water is crystal clear before mixing in white bucket. Pull out of my weekly mix with same white bucket and the water has a brown hue to it really making me consider switching salt. Makes me not want to put it in my tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back