Frog spawn.. again with the splitting -_-

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We now have to rearrange the live Rock because the frog spawn has split again....and let off more baby nubs around the base of the large polyps... It's crazy. How would you go about fragging them? I'm nervous to... extremely nervous.
IMG_20171121_134335.jpg
IMG_20171121_134327.jpg
IMG_20171121_134307.jpg
IMG_20171121_134220.jpg
IMG_20171121_134211.jpg
My other frog spawn is in the shape of a heart.... Especially at night. It's crazy :)
IMG_20171121_134134.jpg

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to rearrange the live rock for that coral to grow at all, unless I misunderstand what you are saying, you didn't position the coral well for future growth. They split, they do that all the time, that is how they grow. 1 head becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, 4, becomes 8 etc. That is a good sign. I wouldn't frag it to keep it tiny, colonies are good. These things can get as big as a basketball, or bigger.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was soccer ball size. Be super careful when fragging. I went and clipped mine and the whole mother colony broke and i sold off the frags, but two and one dumped its polyps so I am down to one little guy.

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do...have to reposition rock because the way they are splitting half of them get no light ...

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do frag it I would definitely use a coral fragging electric saw. There lots of videos online showing you how to do this. Be careful though if anyone coral gers damaged because that might cause brown jelly disease that could kill the whole colony

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a risk for everything then there is iodine. I would just use some pruning shears.

pruning-shears.jpg

As long as you keep the tool clean there shouldn't be any issues.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In review of your frogspawn. None of them look healthy The frogspawn that you have splitting have no skeleton growth. If the frogspawn has proper growing parameters, a branching frogspawn will grow a nice lengthy skeleton several inches as they grow which makes it easy for fragging. Yours does not appear to have any of that. Very bizarre.

The other frogspawn that you have is a wall hammer. If you look at the specimen the base skeleton the flesh has reseeded about 35% or more on the body. This is not good. There was some trauma in the past or its constantly reseeding. If its stopped and stable you should see some new skin growth which I do not.

Each colony that you have has also lost its zoo anthology. They should not be that pale. Once stable they will color up.

What are your tank parms? Mainly looking for your magnesium and calcium ratio. May help them get going a bit more. How long have you had them? Were they pale like that when you got them?

I have seen this happen to some types of euphylia when alk is off and temp of the tank swings. Just FYI. All that said. I would not be fragging or touching any of those nice corals you have until you get them stable. JMO.

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Maybe I'll frag just one piece and see what happens. I attempted to frag my pulsing xenias... I failed kinda . I was able to successfully glue one...and then I tried to rubber band the ones that wouldn't stay with glue...didn't work...so then they became free floaters in the QT tank...full of hermits and old hermit shells...luckily they attached to random objects. Some being shells others chunks of sand :)

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Yah they came with the set up.. all of them are pale...we noticed they are beginning to turn green and getting some color....these guys have never been fed...believe it or not...we bought the tank off Craigslist and it was an already 3 year established tank...he never feed the coral....and the whole tank was full of hair algae when we picked it up...I wasn't sure if the gsp would survive with all the sufficating...we dumped a bunch of hermits in...they cleaned everything and we removed them...now everything has started to..."thrive" or "come back to life" the poor candy cane coral I have I found glued under a big frag of zoas...it's just no looking decent.. do you spot feed your frog spawn ? We gave it mysis shrimp and it loved it.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Its going to take some time to let those frogspawn recover. I wouldn't touch them. Anyway. Don't worry about spot feeding them. that has nothing to do with the zoo anthology to color them up. Don't spot feed them and keep your water quality up. That is the best advice I can give you.

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the base looks like...u can only see it when the lights are out...so I had to use flashlight. Thank you for clearing things up guys :) don't know too much about frog spawn... Lol
IMG_20171121_214505.jpg
IMG_20171121_214512.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. That's a better pic. At the bottom of the first and 2nd frogspawn base. You can frag the coral there with no impac to the coral Now that being said. They still need to re-establish their zoo anthology

Tucker64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kinda have to watch supplements. A lot of them are "snake oil" known to cure cancer and make you live to 156.... Sarcasm intended. What I would do is make sure you have a good quality light for the best spectrum quality. You don't need to give them a ton of light but medium intensity should be fine. If the light is too bright they'll let you know. Also invest in a high quality 2 part solution like ESV to give them all the supplement they need (ESV contains alk, calc and the trace elements you need). Keep it simple. A quality doser would make this automated for you. Don't however use the recommended amount for your tank right away. Start off with half the dosage recommended for your tank size and scale up as you test until it's stable. No quick fixes in this hobby. Time, patience and water quality are king.

As for feeding goes. I've noticed that my torches take bigger foods more regularly but my hammers and frog spawn tend to spit them out. I do feed the frog spawn and hammers reef roids and see better growth when I do. Reef roids is a smaller particle food that is best used to target feed with the flow off for 10 minutes or so. That being said don't over feed. They will do just fine with or without but if you're going to feed you only want to do it once a week or so.

Last edited:

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fine day (a couple years back) my mother green Torch colony decided to spawn & release it's baby Torches all over the rockworks. Now I've got many growing Torch offsprings and they look different from mom gene cuz majority of them have turned into Golden Torches with neon green vertical strips along the base of it's sweepers.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back