Frogspawn Coral has not grown in 2 years

  • Thread starter Thread starter ps2cho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ps2cho

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2014
Messages
881
Reaction score
270
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 years ago when I was still really new, I had a tank crash and I almost completely lost a 6-head frogspawn. I managed to save a single head and since then its not grown at all. Nothing.

Its probably 2 inches in size. It doesn't look "unhappy"...but it hasnt grown at all. I primarily have an SPS tank and nutrients are low. Is that the reason? What else can I try here to get it to grow?
 
Are you dosing cal and alk? Do you know the approximate par on the coral?
 
I would feed it regularly and dose something like reef energy daily.
 
I do 1/2 cube of frozen mixed food every other day, but haven't even done direct feeding.

Yes I have alk and ca on BRS dosers
 
What's the flow on it like? Heavy or light?
 
Although some do have success with it, my lps never took off until I started automatic dosing.
 
What's the flow on it like? Heavy or light?

Its reasonably light. I have an MP40 at 40% and a MP10 at 60%. Its located in the lower middle, so its not getting blasted around or anything. Here is a photo:

frogspawn.jpg
 
If nutrients are low they will have slower growth unless you continually spot feed them. This is my experience. Also with lower nutrients their color will be faded a bit even with spot feeding.
 
Mine looked similarly pale/clear with zero growth for at least 2 years, tank is primarily sps and kept very little nutrients overall. Once I started feeding the tank more and spot fed it didn't take long to start showing improvements and growing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new