Frogspawn frag pests?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tchat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tchat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2026
Messages
43
Reaction score
24
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a frogspawn coral from an LFS. It was busy and understaffed so I probably didn’t inspect the frag as much as I should I have as the employee had multiple other folks waiting for him. I see all kinds of weird stuff on here. Are those tubes vermatids? They are red. What else do you see?

I scraped off anything I could, dipped it in a coral bubble bath (peroxide based), and placed it into my pico tank that’s still cycling as a temporary QT for now. There’s maybe 0.5 ppm ammonia in that tank but i can do a 100% water change if needed. Re dip in a few days? Leave it in the half cycled pico tank for long term QT? Toss it in the main display and pray? Please advise 😆



2A871C5B-18D7-4FCF-91A6-8DBA171D7FE7.png
 
It looks like a bunch of vermatids and tube worms. Dipping them doesn't kill them IME. Shave them off with a knife or something and put it in the tank IMO, its very hard to keep vermatids and tube worms from eventually getting into the system. They will likely come with every coral that you purchase so there's no point in tossing if your planning to buy more.
 
2A871C5B-18D7-4FCF-91A6-8DBA171D7FE7.jpg

A: Vermetids - "bad" (they aren't that bad in my opinion but can certainly be annoying)

B: Unknown - might be worth investigating as these are sitting on the tissue which is always a warning sign. Maybe just Spirorbid worms though.

C: Bubble algae of some sort. There are many genera so I can't tell you the exact kind of bubble algae: Boergesenia sp.? Derbesia sp. (Halycistis)?, Dictyosphaeria sp.? Valonia sp.? Ventricaria sp.? - Either way an unwanted nuisance.

D: Coralline algae - Unavoidable and gives a nice coloration, harmless and beneficial.
 
I would not mess with letter B. I’ve had many frogspawns over the years that grow buds off the side like that. Self fragging tiny clones. Good thing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new