Frogspawn white bugs

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,welcome to the reef... :)
let's get some help here ... #reefsqaud

OP
OP
Dave763

Dave763

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 65g mixed reef with 1 clown 1 tomini tang 1 long nosed hawkfish, 1 pajama cardinal and 4 green chromis. 5 SPS colonies 6 euphyllia (2 Torches 2 branching hammers and 2 frogspawn),1 caulastrea 3 mushroom colonies 1 fiji leather and 1 green finger leather.
Tank is lit with 4 39w ATI and 2 Kessil A360x led's. 7 stage RO filter, Tunze ATO, Red sea dosing pump dosing B-ionic 2 part, Sicce DC main pump, 2 icecap gyre pumps, Reef octopus 110 Int skimmer. Filter sock and the skimmer are the only filtration. Salinity 35ppt Alk 9
25% bi-weekly water changes Reef crystals salt mix

Sand bed is about 1 inch The tank has been running for two years All the corals are growing. New heads on the hammers and torches all the SPS is growing so fast I have had to cut them back. In fact, everything is looking great except the two frogspawn colonies.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen these before on torches.

No one could identify them other than "white bugs"

No dips worked except interceptor.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But I did not have them it was another reefers tank who ended up getting rid of most of his torches.

He did say the interceptor worked on the visible ones tho. Can't say about eggs and long term cure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave763

Dave763

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I did not have them it was another reefers tank who ended up getting rid of most of his torches.

He did say the interceptor qorked on the visible ones tho. Can't say about eggs and long term cure.
Yes I saw an old thread that mentioned Interceptor as a dip but that is all I could find. My torches are fine. I only see these on my frogspawn

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those "white bugs" are most likely pods feeding upon the declining tissue. Something else is happening there. How's your salinity and mag?

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are euphillia eating white bugs. Simple to eradicate using interceptor flavour tabs used for treating heart worms in dogs. Treat affected coral In display or seperate tank for 6 hours. You can’t overdose it from my experience. But it will kill any crustaceans in a display treatment.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two frogspawn colonies have been in decline. Not extending and losing tissue. There are tiny white bugs on both. My hammers and torches are unaffected. SPS are doing well. Everything in the tank looks good and is growing, except the frogspawn.https://youtube.com/shorts/AbeyFZH2iM0?feature=share
I’m currently using interceptor for red bugs. I had to call my vet and tell them it was for my dog or they won’t prescribe it. This medication will harm your hermit crabs or shrimp so try to take them out. Your snails and what not will be fine. The 23ml interceptor tablet will treat 400g. Half tablet can safely dose 160gallons. And 1/4 tablet will safely dose 80gallons. You have to crunch it up and mix it with tank water in a cup then dump back into tank. Unplug airline for 12hours on skimmer and leave everything running to get medication in all points of the filter system. After 12 hours the medication goes inert and is not detectable in tank. Repeat this process 3 times a week for 3 weeks. And your tank will be big free

OP
OP
Dave763

Dave763

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I have Interceptor coming from Canada. I am not sure if I will dose the DT or set up a separate tank for them.

OP
OP
Dave763

Dave763

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. 3 times a week for 3 weeks with Interceptor. Both frogspawn colonies look so much better. The white bugs were gone within 3 days of starting. The frogspawn are puffed up and growing again. Amazing recovery/turnaround. Thank you so much for saving my frogspawn colonies.

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to take the coral out and treat in another tank would they still be in the display? I worry about a mass die off of pods and worms

OP
OP
Dave763

Dave763

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. No white bugs, frogspawn are doing great. All the fish and corals look good. I think a die off has caused a bubble algae explosion. Doing water changes. The skimmer was off during the 3 weeks of treatment. It put out way more gunk than normal when I turned it back on.
I have not seen a bristle worm in weeks, so possibly they were killed. I am not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_8043.JPG
    IMG_8043.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 39

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated my torchs this week. One died before I got the chance to treat it the other 3 had not extended for nearly 2 weeks so I figured what did I have to loose they were almost certainly going to die. 24 hours in QT with interceptor then back into the display. They extended in 12 hours like it never happened.

I used 1/2 a large tablet in 90L of water

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dave I thought I should update on mine. Been 18 days no sign of bugs yet either so looks like they might only live on the coral and might be live breeders

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. No white bugs, frogspawn are doing great. All the fish and corals look good. I think a die off has caused a bubble algae explosion. Doing water changes. The skimmer was off during the 3 weeks of treatment. It put out way more gunk than normal when I turned it back on.
I have not seen a bristle worm in weeks, so possibly they were killed. I am not sure.
This is really interesting. I've seen similar white bugs on my frogspawn though it isn't negatively effecting the colony.

Do you have any wrasses? I see my leopard wrasse regularly pick stuff off the frogspawn, I wonder if she's keeping the population in check.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back