OP
OP
sonbaty222

sonbaty222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it, s my first participation in this forum -what I need to know how I can prepare home made food for fish like shrimp-crab -sushi -vitamins .... etc . I think there is equation to made this kind of food . Please if someone can help me I will be helpful

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my main recipe. I'll change it depending on price and what's available, but this has given me the best feeding response so far.
4 prawns/table shrimp.
1 mussel.
3 squid rings.
1/2 a flathead fillet.
A few cubes of mysis.
A few types of dried seaweed or nori - cut into small pieces and long strips, not blended.
A teaspoon or 2 of spirulina powder.
A teaspoon or 2 of ground pellets/flake.
Rotifers.
I'll chop 1/2-2/3 of the meaty food into a nice big chunky mix for bigger fish and blend the rest for smaller fish. Mix it together really well, add the mysis and Rotifers and whatever other meaty foods that don't need blending. Add the dry ingredients minus the nori to some RO water and mix it all together. Poor the mix into cocktail ice cube trays (the really small ice cubes that are about the size of regular frozen mysis cubes).
Once it's frozen I pop the cubes out into a clip lock bag. I put the cut up bits of nori into a clip lock bag too so it's already cut up when I need it.
I used to add some live bloodworms directly to the tank, my puffer goes crazy for them, but after reading a thread on here I'm going to test out black worms.
It's an all purpose food for carnivores, omnivores, herbivores, corals and filter feeders.
Some people add vitamin soaks and stuff to their food while it defrosting too.
Just remember to wash everything really well first!

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use oysters, shrimp, scallops, nori, spectrum pellets, blood worms, fresh fish, ocean nutrition formula one and two, and mysis.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooow - it seems hard to do
It isn't really. Local grocery stores carry mixed bags of seafood. Gets some and grind it up. Add a few other ingredients as above and freeze in ziplocks or trays then ziplock them. My fish and coral prefer this meal to any other ;)

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you partially freeze the fish chunks it'll grind up/chop up nicely in a quisinart into fine pieces without getting mushy. Not 100 % frozen solid but almost.

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this kind of food good for fish?? I think it contain garlic so it's good against white spot -please someone help me . Thanks

Attachments

• 1402485156422.jpg
    1402485156422.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 107

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this kind of food good for fish?? I think it contain garlic so it's good against white spot -please someone help me . Thanks

Studies have shown garlic isn't actually affective against white spot or help strengthen the immune system. It can help entice picky eaters to feed though :) a well fed fish is generally quite healthy and a healthy fish is less likely to get white spot. In an indirect way it can prevent white spot, but garlic itself isn't a cure. They actually believe long term use of garlic can be harmful, but plenty of people use it with no obvious signs of bad health.
If you look at the ingredients list you'll have an idea of how good it is. Generally a high % of protein and no phosphates is a good start. You wana look for natural ingredients like fish meal, krill and fish oils and stuff like that. Added things like amino acids and vitamins are a plus too. I'd say as long as your fish are happy with it it's ok to feed it, but variety is the spice of life. I've never used that food so I don't know for sure, but some of that and some frozen mysis or something should be good :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Studies have shown garlic isn't actually affective against white spot or help strengthen the immune system. It can help entice picky eaters to feed though :) a well fed fish is generally quite healthy and a healthy fish is less likely to get white spot. In an indirect way it can prevent white spot, but garlic itself isn't a cure. They actually believe long term use of garlic can be harmful, but plenty of people use it with no obvious signs of bad health.
If you look at the ingredients list you'll have an idea of how good it is. Generally a high % of protein and no phosphates is a good start. You wana look for natural ingredients like fish meal, krill and fish oils and stuff like that. Added things like amino acids and vitamins are a plus too. I'd say as long as your fish are happy with it it's ok to feed it, but variety is the spice of life. I've never used that food so I don't know for sure, but some of that and some frozen mysis or something should be good :)

+1

Jackie
125g mixed reef peninsula

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back