Fish feasts from scratch: Have you ever made DIY fish food?

Have you ever made DIY fish food?

• I currently make DIY fish food.

Votes: 77 20.2%
  • I have made DIY fish food.

Votes: 63 16.5%
  • I have not made DIY fish food, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 85 22.3%
  • I have no plans to make DIY fish food.

Votes: 156 40.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are many ways to feed the fish, corals, and other livestock in our tanks such as pellets, flakes, frozen foods, and many types of live foods. Often, we don’t know exactly what is in these foods and are left to rely on the manufacturer to add what we hope will be the best ingredients into the food. Additionally, sometimes the manufacturers add ingredients that are to help the food be shelf-stable, be visually appealing, and other factors that don’t improve the health of the tank inhabitants. One alternative approach that requires some extra work is to make the food yourself be blending healthy ingredients. Please let us know if you have ever made DIY fish food. If so, feel free to share tips and recipes with the R2R community!

RedfishBluefish_FishFood.jpeg

Photo by @redfishbluefish

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are many ways to feed the fish, corals, and other livestock in our tanks such as pellets, flakes, frozen foods, and many types of live foods. Often, we don’t know exactly what is in these foods and are left to rely on the manufacturer to add what we hope will be the best ingredients into the food. Additionally, sometimes the manufacturers add ingredients that are to help the food be shelf-stable, be visually appealing, and other factors that don’t improve the health of the tank inhabitants. One alternative approach that requires some extra work is to make the food yourself be blending healthy ingredients. Please let us know if you have ever made DIY fish food. If so, feel free to share tips and recipes with the R2R community!

RedfishBluefish_FishFood.jpeg

Photo by @redfishbluefish

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
I have made it - however, I have also read a few articles suggesting it's not a good idea - due to potential nutritional deficiencies. Of course these could be articles sponsored by fish food makers - but some were scientific. I don't think it's worth the trouble or risk, when there are a great number of balanced foods out there. JMHO

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i made my own late last year. i have enough to last me quite a long time.... to the point i'm thinking of throwing away some of giving it to some locals.

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made it - however, I have also read a few articles suggesting it's not a good idea - due to potential nutritional deficiencies. Of course these could be articles sponsored by fish food makers - but some were scientific. I don't think it's worth the trouble or risk, when there are a great number of balanced foods out there. JMHO
Do you by chance have any links? I am curious at what was tested and if something like Rods food would also be a bad food.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;) I love making my own but getting seafood near me is difficult. When I make it I just add whatever I can find, clams, mussels, shrimp, scallop some type of ocean fish etc with some selcon and vitachem and maybe some spiralina powder. It's kind of how I cook, nothing is ever the same two batches in a row. Fish love it and are fat and healthy with a couple tangs going on 7 years with me no hlle on any.

EDIT: I also feed rods and lrs but I can make mine for a fraction of what those cost

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been making my own fish/coral food now for over 2yrs. Fresh seafood with no preservatives added. A lot of frozen seafood has a preservative that is high in phosphates ( Sodium Tripolyphosphate ) which is one of the most common preservative used. The frozen seafood in the photos is package onsite at the market I go to from fresh fish/shellfish they receive daily. Yes even the scallops from China are received daily or every other day I was told. ( NO PRESERVATIVES ). A whole octopus minus the head and a whole squid are in the brown paper wrap. Also add a bunch of dry goods and liquids to the mix.
Also harvest my own Live Phyto and dose nightly for pods, filter feeders and corals.
20230421_085316.jpg 20230421_083609.jpg 20230421_090219.jpg 20230421_090226.jpg 20230421_090231.jpg 20230421_090239.jpg 20230421_090245.jpg 20230421_090256.jpg 20230421_090301.jpg 20230528_154942.jpg 20231015_100016.jpg 20231015_094553.jpg 20231015_095513.jpg 20231015_100834.jpg

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutritional deficiencies? Really! Please post the scientific studies you are referring too. Would make some interesting reading. I am curious on what nutritional frozen food out there does not use ocean caught ingredients. I don't believe LRS or Rod's Foods uses artificial seafood in there mix.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you by chance have any links? I am curious at what was tested and if something like Rods food would also be a bad food.
yes I will try - I know I posted it a long time ago (a couple years)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been making food for the last 4 years. Fish love it coral love it and so do all the inverts.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nutritional deficiencies? Really! Please post the scientific studies you are referring too. Would make some interesting reading. I am curious on what nutritional frozen food out there does not use ocean caught ingredients. I don't believe LRS or Rod's Foods uses artificial seafood in there mix.
Are you reading the posts and the concept? I never said Rods or LRS do not provide nutrition. I was talking about home-made food. I doubt the average hobbyist can match them - that was the point. The title of the thread is have you made home made fish food?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last batch I used…
Tilapia, shrimp, reef roids, benepets reef food, phytoplankton, zooplankton, hikari seaweed extreme, and hikari marine s

I’ll feed the frozen a couple times a week in addition to the three feedings a day by the auto feeders

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last batch I used…
Tilapia, shrimp, reef roids, benepets reef food, phytoplankton, zooplankton, hikari seaweed extreme, and hikari marine s

I’ll feed the frozen a couple times a week in addition to the three feedings a day by the auto feeders
Instead of tilapia use a sw white fish. Much better option.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been making food for the last 4 years. Fish love it coral love it and so do all the inverts.
Great. Obviously it's possible - since food companies make it. The question I raised is/was can the average hobbyist make the correct nutrition for his/her tank (i.e. balance). It was not a personal criticism of whomever makes their own food

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back