Frozen food feeder-One of the best gadgets I’ve bought in MANY years.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of thawing frozen food and refreezing it to make the popsicles raises concern for me. It’s known that when doing this you lose quality and it also increases the risk of bacteria forming since the thawed food enters and stays in the temperature danger zone until it is refrozen. It’s the equivalent of thawing chicken on the countertop over a days time instead of in the fridge over the course of a couple days.

Not true , you can thaw frozen fish food ( say the cubes ) in a little bit of water enough to fill these trays and then re freeze them , within a few minutes they can be back in the freezer so the amount of bacteria that can enter at this time would be minimal ? i don't think anyone would leave frozen fish food on the counter all day and then re freeze it say 8-10 hours later ??

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defrost and refreeze the food, no no no no no no.
$99 NO

With a bit of thought you could make you own device that works the same.

500ml coke bottle cut the bottom off a piece of silicon tube pushed through the neck with a tight fit to be level with where you cut the bottom off fill with water and freeze. egg crate to make the stick of frozen could be quite simple.
Just need to mount it on the tank, 3D Printer?

With a 3D Printer you could make the same thing the same design as theirs.

Last edited:

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thawing the food does not have to be done at room temp. I thaw a bunch of different cubes in the fridge, mix them together, add supplements and probiotics, and refreeze them in smaller cubes. The food never gets above 40°F so bacteria doesn't have a chance to take hold.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the feeder's name?

The Instant NO3PO4 Machine
images.png

by this guy
images.jpg

images(2).jpg

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you see any adverse effects on your skimmer. when I add food my skimmer stops foaming so I would assume for the day almost while food is being added the skimmer doesn't skim properly?

No issues with skimmer. Don’t follow why skimmer would stop working when you feed the tank.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much mess is released or is it contained?
Hard to change from current spoon feeding method but always willing to try something new

The popsicle sticks out of the water. As it melts drops into a feed ring where the frozen gadget sits on a provided mount. Small bits at a time over hours.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skimjim - NO3/PHO4 machine is dependent on what you put in popsicles. Actually I’m trying to increase NO3 and can’t! Considering PNo3 dosing.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good idea but I wish they would make their own popsicles you just place in there.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back