Frozen food feeder-One of the best gadgets I’ve bought in MANY years.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all that prefer frozen food vs pellets/flakes, or to supplement pellets/flakes. This simple device allows you to feed frozen food over 6-8 hours with ease. No more having to defrost food daily.

I have no affiliation with this company. But when a vendor has a good product its nice to share info. Saw them at RAP in Orlando a few months ago. Ignored it, but it stayed in the back of my head. The more I thought about it in my 4 hour drive home the more i liked the idea.

I ended up buying it and all i can say is WOW!!!, what a concept. You fill the popsicle with your preferred food, and amount. Once frozen you place it in the frozen container included, that defrosts gradually in the cone shaped container. The food defrosts and drops into the tank over 6-8 hours. Next day you swap frozen container with another one and you drop another popsicle in it.

It’s been a few months now of me using this and love it!!. You put what ever food you like, and dictate the daily amount when you prepare your popcickes. Amazing as far as I’m concerned.

https://smarterreefs.com/

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For corals when i prepare my popsicles I add to the Fisk food- zooplankton, phytoplankton, fish eggs, reef chili, reef roids etc..

Need to get me some Selcon, haven’t added that in a while.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gfox - not sure. I think its reefsickle frozen fish feeder. I listed the link above. The website has all the info you need. Also YouTube has videos.

Solis Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t try mine. I emailed the company because I bought the extra popsicle and it was missing a popsicle stick. They answer the first email but haven’t answer any of my other email or mail the stick. This remind me let me try to emailed them again.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was missing the food mixing stick that comes with it, but hey where very responsive, and i got it within a week.

I just ordered another ice tray so when I mix foot I’m good for 12 days.

Solis Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was missing the food mixing stick that comes with it, but hey where very responsive, and i got it within a week.

I just ordered another ice tray so when I mix foot I’m good for 12 days.
I’m hopping I get my soon

Bigboned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems a really smart idea - how does it take 6-8hrs tho? is it because the reefsicle is kept out of the water?

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems a really smart idea - how does it take 6-8hrs tho? is it because the reefsicle is kept out of the water?

The popsicle sits on a cone shaped container that is frozen. Yes above the water. The cone is thinner on the bottom so less ice. I suspect the ice melts from the bottom up as there is more ice at top. The popsicle dissolves at that rate.

Bigboned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The popsicle sits on a cone shaped container that is frozen. Yes above the water. The cone is thinner on the bottom so less ice. I suspect the ice melts from the bottom up as there is more ice at top. The popsicle dissolves at that rate.

Sounds real simple- like all the best ideas! Love it

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you see any adverse effects on your skimmer. when I add food my skimmer stops foaming so I would assume for the day almost while food is being added the skimmer doesn't skim properly?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How much mess is released or is it contained?
Hard to change from current spoon feeding method but always willing to try something new

Scott (Mack) McIntosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Popsicle is a great idea. Now are you hooking it to one side if tank? If you dont, then it heads to the protien skimmer and/or skimmer filter intake.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do something similar when I go out of town. I freeze a day's quantity of food and my house sitter just has to drop a cube in the tank each day.

How do you keep all the food from being quickly removed in the overflow?

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of thawing frozen food and refreezing it to make the popsicles raises concern for me. It’s known that when doing this you lose quality and it also increases the risk of bacteria forming since the thawed food enters and stays in the temperature danger zone until it is refrozen. It’s the equivalent of thawing chicken on the countertop over a days time instead of in the fridge over the course of a couple days.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back