Processed vs Frozen Fish Food

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys feed your fish and livestock with? I believe a quality processed food source to be the primary and frozen to be more like a daily snack. See the pix of the food I have on hand atm & their nutritional values. I do switch food to introduce variety but don’t overfeed as I don’t keep any CUC and sand. I typically feed 3 times a day - 2 with a blend of pellets & flakes and 1 with frozen.

IMG_0857.jpeg IMG_0858.jpeg IMG_0859.jpeg IMG_0860.jpeg IMG_0861.jpeg IMG_0862.jpeg IMG_0863.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish and shrimp prefere food with ingredients like:
  • Ocean Plankton
  • Krill
  • Mysis shrimp
  • Clam on the half shell
  • Nori
I do feed them also food with ingredients like:
  • wheat gluten
  • wheat flour
  • Starch
  • soybean
  • alfaalfa
My busy work schedule doesn't always allow to thaw frozen food, so I toss pellets too.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a quality processed food source to be the primary and frozen to be more like a daily snack
I'm not sure quality and processed go hand in hand when it comes to pet food or even human food for that matter but that's my opinion with no facts to back it up.
I'm the opposite of you as I feed frozen as my staple food and pellets as a treat. I make own frozen mix and also add pe mysis. I do feed lrs frozen if I have trouble obtaining ingredient for my own. I'm not near a coast so raw seafood to use sometime is not available. Pretty much how I feed my dogs, 100% raw meat as meals and dehydrated liver as treats.

EDIT : I feed at least twice a day but usually more.

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish and shrimp prefere food with ingredients like:
  • Ocean Plankton
  • Krill
  • Mysis shrimp
  • Clam on the half shell
  • Nori
I do feed them also food with ingredients like:
  • wheat gluten
  • wheat flour
  • Starch
  • soybean
  • alfaalfa
My busy work schedule doesn't always allow to thaw frozen food, so I toss pellets too.
Do you believe one is better than the other? If so why?

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure quality and processed go hand in hand when it comes to pet food or even human food for that matter but that's my opinion with no facts to back it up.
I'm the opposite of you as I feed frozen as my staple food and pellets as a treat. I make own frozen mix and also add pe mysis. I do feed lrs frozen if I have trouble obtaining ingredient for my own. I'm not near a coast so raw seafood to use sometime is not available. Pretty much how I feed my dogs, 100% raw meat as meals and dehydrated liver as treats.

EDIT : I feed at least twice a day but usually more.
Respect that as making real food for your pets is devotion for their care. I’m about to head out to get ingredients for my dogs.

I believe these frozen food we use are also processed as they are supposedly “free from harmful parasites, unwanted bacteria, and foul odor”. So the question is if you have a way to replicate that? If so pls share cuz I would love to make my aquatic pets food as well.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect that as making real food for your pets is devotion for their care. I’m about to head out to get ingredients for my dogs.

I believe these frozen food we use are also processed as they are supposedly “free from harmful parasites, unwanted bacteria, and foul odor”. So the question is if you have a way to replicate that? If so pls share cuz I would love to make my aquatic pets food as well.
I agree about retail frozen foods being processed. I bought a pack of clam on the half shell that had no odor at all. My CBB even looked at it funny and swam away when I dropped one in the tank. I'm comfortable with LRS or Rods frozen food. It at least smells like sea food with a bit of garlic added which I also add to my mash to entice finicky eaters.
I think the best way to make food for fish is to buy fresh seafood (or as fresh as can be purchased where a person lives) from the seafood section of the meat dept. I buy clams, muscles, shrimp, scallops, and some type of fish and grind it up together along with some pe mysis and freeze it. I also add some selcon and vitachem. Is it any better than buying retail frozen food? I like to think so because it at least smells like seafood and the clams and muscles contain all the organs as well which I think is good.

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about retail frozen foods being processed. I bought a pack of clam on the half shell that had no odor at all. My CBB even looked at it funny and swam away when I dropped one in the tank. I'm comfortable with LRS or Rods frozen food. It at least smells like sea food with a bit of garlic added which I also add to my mash to entice finicky eaters.
I think the best way to make food for fish is to buy fresh seafood (or as fresh as can be purchased where a person lives) from the seafood section of the meat dept. I buy clams, muscles, shrimp, scallops, and some type of fish and grind it up together along with some pe mysis and freeze it. I also add some selcon and vitachem. Is it any better than buying retail frozen food? I like to think so because it at least smells like seafood and the clams and muscles contain all the organs as well which I think is good.
Very true on the organ and wonder parasites & bacteria can survive if the self made food is frozen.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true on the organ and wonder parasites & bacteria can survive if the self made food is frozen.
I remember reading that it can survive but can not remember the source. I seem to remember that the some the bacteria is reduced slightly by freezing but not eliminated which is a plus to me. I'd rather the fish get that stuff vs sterile food that provided no benifit to their immune system. If only I lived on the coast.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no pellets?
Depends, I rotate. If the auto feeder has pellets flake goes into the diy and vise versa.

A previous batch:
PXL_20221115_002728018.jpg

Only thing not featured is the trader Joe's goodness & nori.

A local LFS was fireselling the SF brand frozen as the freezer was crapping out, got each pack @ 3 bucks a piece.

Edit: Actually the NLS Thera A pellets were behind the measuring cup in the earlier photo.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no pellets?
You kinda have to adjust to your aquarium needs, you may have different varieties of spieces of fish, invertebrate and you should adjust accordingly, I have a mandarin that loves frozen bloodworms, other person has same spieces of mandarin that loves artemia, live food, next aquriam owners has a mandarin that loves frozen mysis... in regards to food you have to adjust accordingly and understand that each aquarium is different in how to look after/ maintain... .

I think the more variety of food you can offer will provide better success with anything

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, I rotate. If the auto feeder has pellets flake goes into the diy and vise versa.

A previous batch:
PXL_20221115_002728018.jpg

Only thing not featured is the trader Joe's goodness & nori.

A local LFS was fireselling the SF brand frozen as the freezer was crapping out, got each pack @ 3 bucks a piece.

Edit: Actually the NLS Thera A pellets were behind the measuring cup in the earlier photo.
So is there a primary or do you just use what you got?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a primary or do you just use what you got?
As I said, I rotate. Usually NLS pellets or Ocean Nutrition flake, nori and the trader joes seafood medley is a cornerstone. Everything else varies batch to batch. Also I use vitachem, selcon or kent zoe as some sort of vitamin/amino boost.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back