Most popular fish foods?

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food do you feed your fish? Brand, frozen, pellets, nori, etc.

I'm trying to gather info to see what the overall most popular 10 foods we feed our fish are so I can run some experiments and report back at some point.

I feed LRS Reef Frenzy, Hikari Frozen Mysis, and LRS Premium Seaweed. Also an Amazon Nori called "Wando Myungga 100 sheets dry kelp Seaweed Nori Raw".

Disclaimer: I don't have BRS money (lol) so may take me a little time to gather all of the foods.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think brands matter for frozen food.
For dry food I'm using Ocean Nutrition prime reef flakes. The flakes are big and heavy so they don't get sucked in easily by the overflow.
For nori i just buy that cheap sushi stuff from Amazon.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a combination of foods.
Pellets:
TDO Chroma boost
Omega 1
Frozen:
Hikari Mysis
Rods Original
Rods Herbivore
Nori:
Omega one green and red
Ocean nutrition
BRS brand

The frozen is what I consistently use the same brands. The pellets and nori I change up depending on what's on sale or if I run out and need to get something at the LFS.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think brands matter for frozen food.
For dry food I'm using Ocean Nutrition prime reef flakes. The flakes are big and heavy so they don't get sucked in easily by the overflow.
For nori i just buy that cheap sushi stuff from Amazon.
What I'm trying to do is get a list of 10 foods. Buy the exact food. Test several water samples prior. Put them in the water samples to let them break down over a period of time. Then re test to see how they all affect po4 and no3 over periods of time.

I can gather what I think are the most popular foods but just wanted to get fellow reefer opinions. This is what I assume is most fed but not sure.

LRS Frozen Foods
Rods Frozen Food
Hikari Mysis
Hikari Brine Shrimp
PE Mysis
PE Calanus
New Life Spectrum pellets
Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 pellets
Reef Nutrition TDO
Omega One Marine pellets
San Francisco Bay 4 variety frozen food

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a combination of foods.
Pellets:
TDO Chroma boost
Omega 1
Frozen:
Hikari Mysis
Rods Original
Rods Herbivore
Nori:
Omega one green and red
Ocean nutrition
BRS brand

The frozen is what I consistently use the same brands. The pellets and nori I change up depending on what's on sale or if I run out and need to get something at the LFS.
Thank you for your feedback and time!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mostly am using PE and Hikari marine pellets or Ocean Nutrition Prime. I feed SF bay brand dried mysis soaked in selcon once a week, also use SF frozen brine 1-2 times a week. My nutrients tend to be a bit higher. Interesting idea for experiment you got

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm trying to do is get a list of 10 foods. Buy the exact food. Test several water samples prior. Put them in the water samples to let them break down over a period of time. Then re test to see how they all affect po4 and no3 over periods of time.

I can gather what I think are the most popular foods but just wanted to get fellow reefer opinions. This is what I assume is most fed but not sure.

LRS Frozen Foods
Rods Frozen Food
Hikari Mysis
Hikari Brine Shrimp
PE Mysis
PE Calanus
New Life Spectrum pellets
Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 pellets
Reef Nutrition TDO
Omega One Marine pellets
San Francisco Bay 4 variety frozen food
What do you hope to achieve with these experiments? The amount of protein (therefore p and n) present in dry food is already written on the package. For frozen food that depends on the frozen species instead of brand.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you hope to achieve with these experiments? The amount of protein (therefore p and n) present in dry food is already written on the package. For frozen food that depends on the frozen species instead of brand.
I would like to get a timeline of each food breaking down at certain intervals to track their no3 and po4 levels to compare them to eachother to find out which food creates the most and the least po4 and no3 and all in between.

I've been dosing no3 and po4 for a while to raise my nutrients but I want to see if i can get away from it. In my opinion it works, but I would like to get to a point to be able to find a food that tends to only raise no3 more and a food that tends to only raise po4 more (like reef roids). I would rather feed my fish more than to dose nutrients and be able to keep nutrients from getting out of sync from eachother.

It May not even be cost effective. I know everyone's tank would process the food different but I want to get a base line of how the food breaks down.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get a timeline of each food breaking down at certain intervals to track their no3 and po4 levels to compare them to eachother to find out which food creates the most and the least po4 and no3 and all in between.

I've been dosing no3 and po4 for a while to raise my nutrients but I want to see if i can get away from it. In my opinion it works, but I would like to get to a point to be able to find a food that tends to only raise no3 more and a food that tends to only raise po4 more (like reef roids). I would rather feed my fish more than to dose nutrients and be able to keep nutrients from getting out of sync from eachother.

It May not even be cost effective. I know everyone's tank would process the food different but I want to get a base line of how the food breaks down.
Forget about cost effectiveness but don't you think continuing dosing these nutrients is a lot more convenient?

I also don't think you can transfer the results of your experiments. Food in reef tanks rarely breaks down completely. And when consumed most of it's nutrients is used for tissue growth, movement and creating offsprings. Only a small amount is being pooped out again.

If you want to do these experiments because of personal interest, sure. But I just don't think the results will have a lot of practical use.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget about cost effectiveness but don't you think continuing dosing these nutrients is a lot more convenient?

I also don't think you can transfer the results of your experiments. Food in reef tanks rarely breaks down completely. And when consumed most of it's nutrients is used for tissue growth, movement and creating offsprings. Only a small amount is being pooped out again.

If you want to do these experiments because of personal interest, sure. But I just don't think the results will have a lot of practical use.
Yes dosing is more practical. I would rather feed more and dose less. It's a personal interest of mine. For this who would like to continue dose keep at it. It works.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I'm trying to gather info to see what the overall most popular 10 foods we feed our fish are so I can run some experiments and report back at some point.

I feed LRS Reef Frenzy, Hikari Frozen Mysis, and LRS Premium Seaweed. Also an Amazon Nori called "Wando Myungga 100 sheets dry kelp Seaweed Nori Raw".

Disclaimer: I don't have BRS money (lol) so may take me a little time to gather all of the foods.
These are just some:

food1.jpg
food2.jpg

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most nutritious fish food is plankton or something that feeds on them, which is mussels. Feed whatever you want, and fresh or frozen mussels and your fish are covered.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO pellets by auto feeder in AM, Kelp Nori to graze all day starting at about noon, followed by frozen food mix( PE Mysis /Angel formula (with sponge)/ frozen krill/Brine etc) soaked in beta glucan, selcon and angelixir in the afternoon.

Occasionally throw in some clams on half shell and shrimp from seafood market…..

OldSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20240306_155638.jpg
    20240306_155638.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 30

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to feed 1 food, it would be LRS Reef Frenzy

If I were to feed 2 foods, it would be LRS Reef Frenzy and 1 of the following: PE Calanus, Cyclops, or baby brine shrimp

What I feed: LRS Reef Frenzy, LRS Fish Frenzy, Rods Food, Nori, Masstick (great for picky rock picking eaters like butterflys), SFB Spirulina Brine, SFB Angel and Butterfly, SFB fish eggs, SFB cyclops, PE mysis, PE calanus, baby brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, live white worms, live brine shrimp, omega flake, nls pellets (several sizes)

I have a problem lol

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to feed 1 food, it would be LRS Reef Frenzy

If I were to feed 2 foods, it would be LRS Reef Frenzy and 1 of the following: PE Calanus, Cyclops, or baby brine shrimp

What I feed: LRS Reef Frenzy, LRS Fish Frenzy, Rods Food, Nori, Masstick (great for picky rock picking eaters like butterflys), SFB Spirulina Brine, SFB Angel and Butterfly, SFB fish eggs, SFB cyclops, PE mysis, PE calanus, baby brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, live white worms, live brine shrimp, omega flake, nls pellets (several sizes)

I have a problem lol
Never heard of reef frenzy until today. But what is everyone's thought on why it's better?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of reef frenzy until today. But what is everyone's thought on why it's better?
High quality ingredients, good protein and fat levels, and good results in a lot of tanks - I've also heard that it's smaller pieces and less messy than Rod's.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back