Most popular fish foods?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High quality ingredients, good protein and fat levels, and good results in a lot of tanks - I've also heard that it's smaller pieces and less messy than Rod's.
The smaller pieces and lack of shell are my big positives vs rods. Rods also sometimes gets the gunky octopus/clam outer layer clumps that are long and sticky and nobody wants to eat

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of reef frenzy until today. But what is everyone's thought on why it's better?
It's chopped fresh high quality human grade seafood mostly clam. Good for a large variety of organisms. Add a little salt and it would make a borderline gourmet stir fry for a human. No "seafood" smell. Mostly bite sized for all range of creature. Price is really the only downside, and it's priced similarly to other seafood blend style foods. It also happens to be made like 45 minutes from my house!

Last edited:

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's chopped fresh high quality human grade seafood mostly clam. Good for a large variety of organisms. Add a little salt and it would make a borderline gourmet stir fry for a human. No "seafood" smell. Mostly bite sized for all range of creature. Price is really the only downside, and it's priced similarly to other seafood blend style foods. It also happens to be made like 45 minutes from my house!
They also have nano, smaller bites for smaller fish.

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had my last tank going, I was using primarily LRS, UNTIL I figured out that it was my main cause for HIGH nitrates. It took me a lot of trial and error before I realized it was that food that did it. I changed the brand, I believe it was Rods. Once I did that, my nitrates started to drop.

I didn't change my feeding habits / amounts, but I certainly saw a change in trates.

There are so many food products on the market, it's hard to not experiment with a lot of them. We'll see what I run into this go around.

I have also used New Life Spectrum pellets for my fish.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning and noonish on an auto feeder:

TDO Chromoboost
NLS pellets
NLS Algae max pellets
Regular NLS marine mix

Evenings get:
Regular uncooked sushi seaweed from the local Asian market(very cheap this way)
LRS
PE Calanus
PE mysis

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My homemade.............takes me 10- 15 minutes to make a pack.
homemade frozen food.jpg

Salmon, shrimp, scallops, Fremont seafood frozen mix from Aldis, nori. I have also use fresh frozen clams and mussels at times if I can't get the medley mix. I get everything at local grocery stores.

I'll feed frozen mysis occasionally on it's own...........maybe once a week.

When I'm lazy or in a hurry flakes/pellets which amounts 10% less of the time.
-------------------------
I don't want my fish getting wheat and fillers from pellets and flakes. Nothing against them and it is easier to fatten up skinny tangs with pellets......not sure it's healthier.

Last edited:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food do you feed your fish? Brand, frozen, pellets, nori, etc.

I'm trying to gather info to see what the overall most popular 10 foods we feed our fish are so I can run some experiments and report back at some point.

I feed LRS Reef Frenzy, Hikari Frozen Mysis, and LRS Premium Seaweed. Also an Amazon Nori called "Wando Myungga 100 sheets dry kelp Seaweed Nori Raw".

Disclaimer: I don't have BRS money (lol) so may take me a little time to gather all of the foods.
I feed a combination of frozen, flake and nori. Frozen is Hikari mysis and brine. Flake Ocean Nutrition combo of formula’s one and two. And for nori, I use Coral Ranch raw seaweed.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of reef frenzy until today. But what is everyone's thought on why it's better?
Because he actually meets the boat at the dock and collects fish and seaweeds fresh, then brings them to his warehouse and processes ASAP. I got to speak to him when I was at Franks Tanks in Fort Worth, Texas talking to Frank about it and Larry called Frank for his order. I had read years ago that the Hawiian breeders were successful finally breeding Yellow Tangs when feed Larry’s Reef Frenzy. It’s a winner to me!
Debra

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use any commercial dry foods including pellets or freeze dried. But I do use LRS food in conjunction with live worms and clams.

zberq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pellets, I use PE Pellets in an auto feeder for my more active fish. I also mix in TDO Chroma Boost every few days for my larger fish and Hikari Seaweed Extreme.

Frozen I stick to PE Mysis and San Franscico frozen brine.

Nori I have been using two little Fishies, mainly purple as my Foxface and Hippo absolutely destroy it and occasionally green by the same company.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS frenzy products, TDO pellets, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, nori, prime reef flakes, bbs

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NLS pellets
LRS frozen
Formula 2 flakes
Nori

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back