Is a Frozen food auto feeder a thing?

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry about the food in the tubing, as it is all in the fridge up until it is fed into the main return plumbing (this is my main reason for having DOS pumps in the fridge).

Once it is in the return pump plumbing it, the food is in the display in ~10 seconds.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this question, but the tubing from the DOS connects to my return pump plumbing using one of these bad boys

I used wadded up paper towels to clog the hole for weeks until I saw it work consistently well and then I used some of that insulation-in-a-spraycan to truly seal it.
Ah yeah I gotcha. I thought the piping were just tubing conduits, now I realize they’re an actual return line.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it working for ya?
Alright, so I’ve moved on from this initial setup that has temporarily serve me well.

Meet the new setup.

This guy seems to keep much cooler than the other fridge and the handle holes were perfect for piping the tubing through (perfect fit).

I put a pot lid handle on the other side and still need to figure out how to get a perfect seal with the power cable for the Hanna mixer in there making sure the food is caught and evenly distributed by the tubing.

IMG_0976.jpeg IMG_0978.jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg

Last edited:

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build log/thread?

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I’ve moved on from this initial setup that has temporarily serve me well.

Meet the new setup.

This guy seems to keep much cooler than the other fridge and the handle holes were perfect for piping the tubing through (perfect fit).

I put a pot lid handle on the other side and still need to figure out how to get a perfect seal with the power cable for the Hanna mixer in there making sure the food is caught and evenly distributed by the tubing.

IMG_0976.jpeg IMG_0978.jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg
I am now using a bubbler for this guy hooked up to a smart outlet thanks to an idea someone gave me on Facebook. This has resulted into a much nicer end product IMO.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, got into a spat with my BF, he doesnt want to take 60 seconds to dump a cup of defrosted and ready to go frozen food from the fridge and poor it into the tank. Like okay whatever, so my question is are there any auto feeders out there that I could put a helping of frozen food into and have it release around their normal feeding time? (11-1230 usually). Got some tangs he doesnt even want to put nori on a clip for and have two triggers planned (male and female blue jaw) and want them to get their food they need. All I see are pellet auto feeders. I guess I can make this a snack if need be between their two meals of frozen food if I need to but worried about the triggers getting cranky because they are hungry
what a lazy BF... my wife LOVES to get involved with the tank however she can!

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do a high level breakdown of it in my Tank Thread here

The only thing I would change at this point is that the food gets disbursed ~40ft of piping before it hits the display. In retrospect, I wish I put this right under the tank. The food oftentimes looks pretty pulverized by the time it makes it to the display lol

How do you pump it into the return without the tank water leaking out? I would be really curious to see that fitting setup. Seems like you would have lots of back pressure on those pumps.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you pump it into the return without the tank water leaking out? I would be really curious to see that fitting setup. Seems like you would have lots of back pressure on those pumps.
1709992211579.png

In the picture above, you can see the T fitting going into the top of the fridge... on the end of that T fitting is a quick connect fitting like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Gu...nector-Fitting-10-Pack-PP011624W-US/320639305

The apex tubing goes right into it.

I've run some version of this for ~3 years now and never had a leak or a DOS pump go down.

The only 2 issues that I currently face are:

1) The food seems to get pretty 'chopped up' on the way from my basement (where the fridge is) to the display. I would like to try it right under the display, and actually have the room to do so, but I haven't tried it because....

2) While I like Reef Nutrition products a lot, it seems like when I really crank these things up my nutrients shoot through the roof. I have had a hard time dialing in an amount that both satisfies my fish, but doesn't blow up my nutrients. This not to say it cannot be done, but rather that I haven't figured out how to dial it in yet.

All that to say, I am really hoping hte aF4 from InD Aquatics that is slated to come out soon works as advertised. If so, I would likely shut down my DIY approach and just go straight frozen again.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1709992211579.png

In the picture above, you can see the T fitting going into the top of the fridge... on the end of that T fitting is a quick connect fitting like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Gu...nector-Fitting-10-Pack-PP011624W-US/320639305

The apex tubing goes right into it.

I've run some version of this for ~3 years now and never had a leak or a DOS pump go down.

The only 2 issues that I currently face are:

1) The food seems to get pretty 'chopped up' on the way from my basement (where the fridge is) to the display. I would like to try it right under the display, and actually have the room to do so, but I haven't tried it because....

2) While I like Reef Nutrition products a lot, it seems like when I really crank these things up my nutrients shoot through the roof. I have had a hard time dialing in an amount that both satisfies my fish, but doesn't blow up my nutrients. This not to say it cannot be done, but rather that I haven't figured out how to dial it in yet.

All that to say, I am really hoping hte aF4 from InD Aquatics that is slated to come out soon works as advertised. If so, I would likely shut down my DIY approach and just go straight frozen again.

That makes sense. Do you have 4 of those fittings going in or just 1?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back