Frustrating Low Nitrates

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should know your phosphate level (even though I hate phosphate measuring kits). If you feed more fish food, you will increase both nitrates and phosphates. However, phosphates can easily exceed your target range by overfeeding. Sometimes just a bit more fish food is the trick but not too much. If your phosphates are low, then you certainly have the option to add more fish food.

It certainly is about developing a diverse population of critters of all sorts as has been mentioned and finding a happy medium/balance point. Things like cyano seem to signify somethings are unbalanced. But if you overreact and respond by too aggressively adding or subtracting to your tank, its easy to overshoot and then start chasing your tail and things can go from bad to worse.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your phosphate level?
I had to take my skimmer offline and am dosing nitrate and phosphate. But I started with dead rock and had issues with Dino’s and chrysophyte.
Maybe take the skimmer offline Or just take collection cup off and let it run so it still keeps your pH up and see what happens with your NO3 levels. Or get a couple more fish and feed more.

phosphate is about .25! I’ll change up the skimmer to see if it helps.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to switch up lighting to get this to show properly.

my parameters are

salinity:34.5 PPT
Nitrates: 0
Phosphate: .25
Alk: 9.5
Calcium: way too high (500) dosing mishap

7499BF6C-6590-4A31-8F72-638BAE8AFF82.jpeg BE9DC097-AAA5-4869-B5AA-107A73556CCD.jpeg 957EB6C9-5DFE-41C2-A4C6-F84A4B106A07.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back