FS: dry rock - $1-3/lb.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi,

I have been downsizing my tanks and miscellaneous reef stuff, and it's time to get rid of the rest of my live (now dry) rock.

I have no idea how much I really have here, but I'm guessing about 200lbs. This is a mixture of Fiji, Kaelini, Tonga shelf type, and a little Florida rock.

The Florida rock is $1/lb.

The fiji rock is $2/lb. (most of what is here)

The Kaelini and Tonga shelf pieces are $3/lb.

I have everything from nano size to football size. Some of the shelf pieces are fairly large (18"). The pics don't really do it justice, but it gives you an idea. Don't worry about the little bits of algae you might see in the pics; it comes right off.

Most of this rock is between 5-10 years old and has been used at various times in various different tanks. I have NEVER used copper with any of this rock, so no worries there. I have a horse trough outside full of freshwater that I've been keeping the rock in. I change out the water every couple months. Doing this allows the rock to slowly leech out any phosphates which the freshwater algae then consume. I clean them off and flush it out periodically so that the rocks are already "pre-cured". I am now at a point where the rock is sitting on an elevated bench to dry out so you can look through it all.

I have used this same rock for my two existing tanks with great success. My advice is to put the rocks in a plastic bin with a couple gallons of vinegar and give them a good scrub down with a heavy plastic brush (like a denture brush, etc.). Then rinse them off/soak in freshwater to get rid of excess vinegar (will fuel bacteria growth, which can be a good thing and bad thing). Then, put then it in clean saltwater for a week or two with a little bottled-bacteria (can get at LFS). This allows the rocks to become colonized with bacteria and begin the process of being "live" rock again.

I have put totally "dead"/dry rock in an existing system, but would only do so if you are putting a little bit of rock in an established tank. If you are starting a new tank from scratch (like I did with my new tank) you can just put your rock in after you clean it up a bit and wait for the tank to cycle. Please just understand that the process for it to become colonized and "function" as biological filtration can take a couple months.

Shoot me a message if you want to come check it out. I am generally free in the evenings.

Thanks!
Ed

IMG_3596.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG
IMG_3598.JPG

OP
OP
acro-ed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've sold some nice pieces of rock, but I've still got some left...

I dug through this a bit and put together a lot that is 53lbs of some smaller fiji pieces, a couple of tonga shelf pieces, and a couple denser Florida rock pieces. I'll do this lot for $40! (that's about $0.75/lb!) This would still look decent and is CHEAP for someone setting up a tank. Message me for pics.

Thanks,
Ed

OP
OP
acro-ed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
All gone; thanks for the interest!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back