Best dry rock for aquascaping?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to go all live rock but with the amount of time Im putting into this build I figure why not bust out the angle grinder and make some real nice rock structure. I never put dry rock in a tank before so which ones are awesome and which ones are avoid at all costs?

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarcoRocks is my go to for dry rock, just be aware you might need to dose phosphate until the rock absorbs enough to reach an equilibrium with your desired phosphate in the water or you'll suffer from chronically low/undetectable phosphate right from the beginning.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think there is an avoid at all cost scenario. I have always used marco dry rock and have not had issues with it. All dry rock has its good and bad points. I think if you are building a structure marco is the way to go. If you want prebuilt carib sea has nice looking pieces but I think a lot of it is actually aggracrete not actual rock. In shipping rocks get broken with marco who cares you are probably going to break it up some anyway. With caribsea if you buy a prebuilt arch and its broken when you get it you are not going to be happy. Look at some youtube videos on building structures with marco there are a lot of them. I learned a great deal doing this. Obviously there are others out there, I think all the ones that look like marco all come from the same place so I guess price is going to be the only difference. The places that have branch rock and cool arches are aggracrete a lot of the time. Nothing wrong with aggracrete its just not "natural" rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back