Fu man chu as first fish?

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my main fish goal for my currently cycling tank is a fu man chu. For one, do you think that he would be safe to add right after the nitrite goes down and a water change? I can handle the feeding and everything very well as I have the time. One thing I was considering was using a test fish for the aquarium before the lion so I can have other types in there (I want a convict tang) but would that matter too much? I'm curious because I know lions should be added after others but the fu man chu is not so intimidating. Advice? Thank you!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and what other fish are you planning. The fu may be considered the most difficult dwarf lion to get to accept a dead diet. Personally I feed my lions dominantly a live diet, even after 6 years my fu is very picky and limiting in the dead food he eats. So adding first and establishing his feeding routine would be best. They are very smart and personable, mine swims up to top corner of the tannk where I can hand feed him.

They are also very effective ambush predators, I've seen mine take down a damsel about 1/3 his size. I saw him stalk and set up camp outside where the damsel slept. The next day the fu had a huge belly, and no damsel. They almost always come in eating live, be prepared to initially feed him live ghost shrimp and small live mollies. Make sure he has a couple of caves to choose from, and plenty of cliffs to perch.

For some reason I haven't met many able to keep these guys long term, I believe it has to do with feeding. The only guy that comes to mind fed his a combo live/dead diet. They will never be able to eat enough from the water column, so you will always have to target feed them. A really cool, fun fish.

OP
OP
Hiachi20

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and what other fish are you planning. The fu may be considered the most difficult dwarf lion to get to accept a dead diet. Personally I feed my lions dominantly a live diet, even after 6 years my fu is very picky and limiting in the dead food he eats. So adding first and establishing his feeding routine would be best. They are very smart and personable, mine swims up to top corner of the tannk where I can hand feed him.

They are also very effective ambush predators, I've seen mine take down a damsel about 1/3 his size. I saw him stalk and set up camp outside where the damsel slept. The next day the fu had a huge belly, and no damsel. They almost always come in eating live, be prepared to initially feed him live ghost shrimp and small live mollies. Make sure he has a couple of caves to choose from, and plenty of cliffs to perch.

For some reason I haven't met many able to keep these guys long term, I believe it has to do with feeding. The only guy that comes to mind fed his a combo live/dead diet. They will never be able to eat enough from the water column, so you will always have to target feed them. A really cool, fun fish.
Appreciate the responses very much. Thank you :) check out my aquascape below. I have a 70 gallon. I am ready to feed him whatever he wants. I'm going to try feeding him live for a while, while he gets acclimated, then try to ween him on frozen. I plan to maybe get a cowfish (not my choice).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back