Hyposalinity and Possible Velvet

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Scorpion fish tank and an outbreak of ich which has occurred, it was diagnosed on here and I dropped to Hyposalinity.

This was all going well for about four weeks and all the spots on the eyes and skin vanished off the fish. I've run hypo twice before so quite familiar with the process.

Four weeks in my Leaf fish has suddenly stopped eating and the Fumanchu has partially lost his appetite, the Fu is also breathing heavily and one of the Lions tends to pop into the powerhead once in a while.

I have removed the Leaf and Fu into my QT for targeted feeding and also to raise the salt level up slowly, I am also oxygenating heavily. All my other fish including the Blenny seem fine in the DT but I am thinking could this be velvet possibly?

I do have access to CP and Copper Power if required.

Attachments

• 20231126_164108.mp4
    33.3 MB
  • 20231126_164131.mp4
    52.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Scorpion fish tank and an outbreak of ich which has occurred, it was diagnosed on here and I dropped to Hyposalinity.

This was all going well for about four weeks and all the spots on the eyes and skin vanished off the fish. I've run hypo twice before so quite familiar with the process.

Four weeks in my Leaf fish has suddenly stopped eating and the Fumanchu has partially lost his appetite, the Fu is also breathing heavily and one of the Lions tends to pop into the powerhead once in a while.

I have removed the Leaf and Fu into my QT for targeted feeding and also to raise the salt level up slowly, I am also oxygenating heavily. All my other fish including the Blenny seem fine in the DT but I am thinking could this be velvet possibly?

I dont recommend hypo with scalelessfish and lions nor eels as examples/ I recommend using General cure and water temp at 80 deg. It will take General cure a couple of days to start working. Also increase oxygen with an air stone and maintain good water quality.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont recommend hypo with scalelessfish and lions nor eels as examples/ I recommend using General cure and water temp at 80 deg. It will take General cure a couple of days to start working. Also increase oxygen with an air stone and maintain good water quality.
Thanks for the reply, it's a little confusing to myself though.

Would General Cure (sadly not available over here) work with ich in the FOWLR DT?

My view was that only Copper, CP or Hypo was an effective method to treat?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What salinity did you run the hypo at?

The Fumanchu is breathing really fast, but the others, not so much. I don’t think it is velvet, although as you may know, velvet is not controlled at all by hyposalinity. If it is velvet, it is early on in the infection.

I wonder if chloroquine might be a good choice there? It will kill off any algae or invertebrates, but then, so does hypo.

Jay

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salinity did you run the hypo at?

The Fumanchu is breathing really fast, but the others, not so much. I don’t think it is velvet, although as you may know, velvet is not controlled at all by hyposalinity. If it is velvet, it is early on in the infection.

I wonder if chloroquine might be a good choice there? It will kill off any algae or invertebrates, but then, so does hypo.

Jay
Thanks for the reply Jay,

Hypo was run for six weeks at 1.009 with two freshly calibrated refractometers and one new Milwaukke Digital, calibrated each time.

When the DT went down with this outbreak it was clear sugar spots on each fish which vanished after a few days with hyposalinity, the eyes also cleared up on the Lions.

I have a Starry Blenny and he is the Canary in the Coal mine so to speak and there has been no flashing at all off him since hypo and he's always the first to let me know usually. I suspect he would also be the first to die if this was Velvet with the Scorpidande fishes later due to the mucas coat and general resilance.

I am not worried about CP killing off anything, all my corals and inverts are in a fallow QT for the next four months until this is resolved.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply, it's a little confusing to myself though.

Would General Cure (sadly not available over here) work with ich in the FOWLR DT?

My view was that only Copper, CP or Hypo was an effective method to treat?
I recommend avloclor which is chloroquine or else NT Labs acriflavine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay,

Hypo was run for six weeks at 1.009 with two freshly calibrated refractometers and one new Milwaukke Digital, calibrated each time.

When the DT went down with this outbreak it was clear sugar spots on each fish which vanished after a few days with hyposalinity, the eyes also cleared up on the Lions.

I have a Starry Blenny and he is the Canary in the Coal mine so to speak and there has been no flashing at all off him since hypo and he's always the first to let me know usually. I suspect he would also be the first to die if this was Velvet with the Scorpidande fishes later due to the mucas coat and general resilance.

O.K. - that was a solid hypo treatment.

I'm not sure that I would agree that blennies are more prone to velvet than lionfish are. I've found the latter pretty susceptible to external protozoans overall, and then, velvet being a gill parasite, has little to do with skin structure in any case.

Jay

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

O.K. - that was a solid hypo treatment.

I'm not sure that I would agree that blennies are more prone to velvet than lionfish are. I've found the latter pretty susceptible to external protozoans overall, and then, velvet being a gill parasite, has little to do with skin structure in any case.

Jay
That's intresting, but I guess due to it being a gill parasite then mucas coats don't really come into it.

My view is that CP is going to be the route here as it is effective against both Velvet and any remaining Ich left.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's intresting, but I guess due to it being a gill parasite then mucas coats don't really come into it.

My view is that CP is going to be the route here as it is effective against both Velvet and any remaining Ich left.
Update on this is that sadly the Fumanchu passed away, he had rapid breathing until the end. He was floating and in distress so I went with the clove oil route to put him to sleep.

I dosed CP in the QT on the 27th, the fuzzy lion is normal and eating and the leaf scorp is still refusing the glass shrimp sadly but looks ok. Ammonia is been tested twice a day at present.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back