Fu Manchu Regurgitating

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got my hands on two Fu Manchu lions. Both about 3+inches long, healthy although the smaller of the two seems a bit skinny. I got them both to take live ghost shrimp the day after they arrived. The larger took two, the smaller took one. A good start, until I came home that night and one seemed to have regurgitated one of the shrimp.

No big deal, I thought, maybe the ol' eyes-too-big-for-the-stomach. Cut to today, neither wanted to eat this morning, which I figured no big deal since they had ate the day before. However, I check on them earlier tonight, and I find two more regurgitated shrimp, which means they spit up every one they took.

Any ideas as to why they could be doing this? They're sharing a large acclimation box, which they don't seem to mind, no outward aggression or posturing. They seem to be spitting them up at night after the lights go out.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regurgitation can occur when overfeeding, which it doesn't sound like you did. At 3" they should be able to handle any size ghostie, because too large of food can also cause regurgitation. Stress of being confined may also be a factor, lions get especially active at night and need the activity for digestion. These are generally the causes of regurgitation, any underlying conditions that could cause this would just be speculation. Is there a specific reason they are in an acclimation box, all things considered I would lean more towards the stress of being confined on a full stomach. Them eating right away is a good sign.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regurgitation can occur when overfeeding, which it doesn't sound like you did. At 3" they should be able to handle any size ghostie, because too large of food can also cause regurgitation. Stress of being confined may also be a factor, lions get especially active at night and need the activity for digestion. These are generally the causes of regurgitation, any underlying conditions that could cause this would just be speculation. Is there a specific reason they are in an acclimation box, all things considered I would lean more towards the stress of being confined on a full stomach. Them eating right away is a good sign.
The QT is a 40 but I have a few smaller fish in the main tank that would easily fit in their mouths, like dartfish and a small pike blenny. If it's the confinement, I will likely set up a separate QT for them with a cycled sponge in the next couple days then.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what or even if they had been eating before you got them, I thought I remembered you said they were at your lfs. You do want them to hold food down very soon, or I woukd also consider internal parasites. They would usually not eat at all unless it was just starting. 1st couple of weeks with these guys is always touch and go.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what or even if they had been eating before you got them, I thought I remembered you said they were at your lfs. You do want them to hold food down very soon, or I woukd also consider internal parasites. They would usually not eat at all unless it was just starting. 1st couple of weeks with these guys is always touch and go.
I got them online, they said they had them for about a month before I got them. I can run Metro in the tank if you suspect internals.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites are so common with lions it's not a bad idea to just automatically treat with general cure or fritz paracleanse; they contains both prazi and metro and will treat a broader range of parasites and worms. Eating is the tell and if you are experienced with observation you can wait and observe, if they don't eat without regurgitating, treat immediately. The reason lions many times come in with internal parasites is if they are fed at all, collectors and suppliers and I've even seen it at lfs; they will feed them dying, fresh dead, and diseased fish. This happens with predatory fish of all species.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites are so common with lions it's not a bad idea to just automatically treat with general cure or fritz paracleanse; they contains both prazi and metro and will treat a broader range of parasites and worms. Eating is the tell and if you are experienced with observation you can wait and observe, if they don't eat without regurgitating, treat immediately. The reason lions many times come in with internal parasites is if they are fed at all, collectors and suppliers and I've even seen it at lfs; they will feed them dying, fresh dead, and diseased fish. This happens with predatory fish of all species.
I treated with prazi and metro, although I don't think the prazi is effective in this system anymore if the prazi-eating bacteria have anything to say about it.

I left another ghost in with the two yesterday and I upped the flow into the box by somewhat aiming a powerhead at the grate on one side. The ghost was gone when I got home today and no regurgitation so far. No idea who ate it, but it's a start.

Back