Fuge DSB setup help needed

LAMPCOV

Great, another addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a fuge that will have a DSB and i'm looking for some advice on what to build it with.

The fuge area in 33 x 12 (it's a 45 gal tank).

It's been recommended to me to use a 1.5" bed of Fiji Mud topped off with another 5-6" of Arag-alive sugar sand. Looking into it, this is a Big $$ setup. The sump will be on my 60 gallon frag setup.

I'm not looking to cheap out, but was hoping you might have some input as to what sands I can use, and in what amounts. Is the mud necessary? should I do a couple inches of live sand and the put non-alive sugar sand or aragonite? Any and all input (minus the DSB debate) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't wast your money on live sand I don't know about the mud what benefit is it supposed to add??? I was considering the same Idea so looking forward to everyones input :)

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried the mud before either. I just use sand. You don't really need live sand. Just sand will do. It will be live before you know it. In my fuge i used a deep sandbed like 4 inches. I have lots of cheato and rock rubbles. Works really good.

Okeewanfonokee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how to copy a recent thread, but it is on page 3 of the "General Reef Discussion, title is Mud and Mangroves. I asked a similar question and there was some great help from memebers here. A cool video as well of a DSB. I would repost if I knew how. Can anyone link it back to this thread?

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does any one use a plenium grid for there dsb i have some extra eggcrate i could use to make one for my fuge dsb ive read they do great but have not herd anything of it

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back