Fulgida Worm

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what happens when a Oenone Fulgida worms gets cut in half? I snared it in my slipknot trap but pulled too hard and cut it in half. Then, before I could grab the tweezers, both parts slithered back under the rocks
Am I going to have two? Or will it die?

OP
OP
piscesgirl

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaargh!!! And I doubt it will fall for my little trick again anytime soon, either.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does anyone know what happens when a Oenone Fulgida worms gets cut in half? I snared it in my slipknot trap but pulled too hard and cut it in half. Then, before I could grab the tweezers, both parts slithered back under the rocks
Am I going to have two? Or will it die?
They will heal and thrive unfortunately. Consider making a trap from a i liter bottle baited with shrimp and trap them

trap.jpg

OP
OP
piscesgirl

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will heal and thrive unfortunately. Consider making a trap from a i liter bottle baited with shrimp and trap them

trap.jpg
I tried that one and he was too fast, and they attach the back end of their body on the rock, so he retracted quickly. I made this one out of PVC, put a shrimp in the back of it, cut a slit near the front and put a slipknot fishing line to catch him. But I pulled to hard and cut him in half.

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpeg
    IMG_3202.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 57

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaargh!!! And I doubt it will fall for my little trick again anytime soon, either.
I feel your pain. I myself have been dealing with an infestation for well over a decade, with no end in sight. =/

The best I've been able to do are periodic cullings.

Actually the most succesful trap I've made is a simple filter media holder filled with live rock rubble and bait (scallop) nestled in betwen all the rubble. Makes the worms think it is a natural environment and they coil up to eat the food at their leisure.

OP
OP
piscesgirl

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I myself have been dealing with an infestation for well over a decade, with no end in sight. =/

The best I've been able to do are periodic cullings.

Actually the most succesful trap I've made is a simple filter media holder filled with live rock rubble and bait (scallop) nestled in betwen all the rubble. Makes the worms think it is a natural environment and they coil up to eat the food at their leisure.
I was willing to let it co-exist until it annihilated all of my CUC population. And then moved onto my fish. I’m headed to buy new rock today to start the curing process, and I’m just going to trash the rock home it has now. When I tear down the tank I’ll do a good search. So far I’ve only seen one but he’s a good 2 feet long. So, your scallop trap, did he completely leave his rock to enter it?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was willing to let it co-exist until it annihilated all of my CUC population. And then moved onto my fish. I’m headed to buy new rock today to start the curing process, and I’m just going to trash the rock home it has now. When I tear down the tank I’ll do a good search. So far I’ve only seen one but he’s a good 2 feet long. So, your scallop trap, did he completely leave his rock to enter it?
He may live in the sand, under a rock. Or, in the rock that is above sand.the rocks that are not around his territory, I would keep and isolate from t he area the worm is known to be. It is also difficult to say if you have more than 1 :(

I should have documented several worms I found in my sand bed when I tore my tank apart for a rip clean. I assumed they were eunicids. But, I wonder now.

I had a hawk fish just disappear, perhaps these worms may have been responsible for it.

OP
OP
piscesgirl

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may live in the sand, under a rock. Or, in the rock that is above sand.the rocks that are not around his territory, I would keep and isolate from t he area the worm is known to be. It is also difficult to say if you have more than 1 :(

I should have documented several worms I found in my sand bed when I tore my tank apart for a rip clean. I assumed they were eunicids. But, I wonder now.

I had a hawk fish just disappear, perhaps these worms may have been responsible for it.
Ok, I will sift through the sand as well. Sucks because I just placed a shipment of frags. But in the long run, good to clear it out.
I bet you it was one of these guys who ate your HF. I’ve read, the differentiation is the slime that they produce to stun their prey as well as to travel through. I would find this stuff all over the tank, thinking it was a snail thing :face-with-raised-eyebrow: and then I’d see the slime in tubes going through the sandbed. Then, half eaten fish covered in slime.
It’s war…

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did, yes. I also tried loading up with active carbon and baiting with octopus, which also yielded good results. (although it was a bit costly to keep throwing away carbon like that.)

IMG_20170619_031811_677.jpg

OP
OP
piscesgirl

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@piscesgirl yes it is!

Do wear gloves. Not even merves reef would touch his. I hope you get your tank back and looking gorgeous again.

You got this!
So, I took out the bottom layer of rocks and broke them to pieces. Sifted the sand, nothing but a ton of crab shells located under the rock that I saw the worms in. The only rock that had them in was the one, but I got em!! There were two whole ones, the head, and the tail from yesterday. But all the rock will get thrown away because I’m completely sketched out now lol
There’s a bunch of tiny orange worms coming out of the pieces of rock, I’m assuming babies. I’m really hoping those things were only in the base layer of rock. :loudly-crying-face:
They did, yes. I also tried loading up with active carbon and baiting with octopus, which also yielded good results. (although it was a bit costly to keep throwing away carbon like that.)

IMG_20170619_031811_677.jpg
I wonder if a wrasse or another bristle eater would eat the very small ones (under an inch), if the large ones are removed? Looks like I may have gotten the biggies out of the tank, but I’m seeing babies in my fresh water tub that I threw the throw-away rocks in, just to see what came out.

Attachments

• IMG_3204.jpeg
    IMG_3204.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 41

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back