Future Build - RSR 300XL - Mixed Reef

LucentFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker.

I'v been wanting a reef tank for some time now, and about to move to a new condo we just purchased. So i am finally comfortable with setting up a reef tank as there is no risk of being made to move. In the past had fresh water for about 15 years, from 20g to 120g fully planted tanks.

The plan is to go with the Red Sea Reefer 300xl (65g display, 15g sump), and after a few months have the refugium grow macro algae (chaeto or Gracilaria Hayi).

I would love some feedback on the equipment list iv been tinkering over. I don't plan on stocking too heavily and livestock additions will be spread out. Coral wise looking to initially do Zoas, soft coral and in the upper zones 1 or 2 Monticaps possibly as i like how they plate out, and hopefully with only them for hardcorals water changes to keep up with the calc needs. Iv watched through the BRS 52 weeks + all their vids as well as reading articles here and following some other reef youtube channels.

For simplicity i am leaning towards going all red sea (led/wavemakers) or AI's to put it all on one app. Heard many mixed reviews of the red sea app previously, has it gotten any better?

Skimmer:
- Bubble magus 3.5 or Curve 5

Lights
- 2 AI 16HD (can add a 3rd if i go SPS later)
or
- 2 Red Sea Reef LED 50's

Heater
- 2 Eheim Jager 150W on inkbird temp controller

Powerheads
1x Hydor Koralia evo 850 (later can become another wave maker and be the salt mixer)
- 2x AI Nero 3
or
- 1x Red Sea wavemaker 45

Return pump
- Sicce Syncra 714 GPH

Substrate
- 50-60lb Fiji pink
- 65lb dry rock

Misc other
- RSR DIY Mesh cover
- RO/DI system
- Test kits
- red sea coral pro salt
- Aquaforest BioS +ammonium

Livestock
- 2 OC Clowns *1-3months, or after cycling completed
- 1 Royal Gamma *2-4 months
- 1 Firefish Goby *2-4 months
- 2 Bangaii Cardinals *4-6 months
- 1 Blenny tbd *6 month
- 1 Goby/pistol shrimp pair *8-12 months
- 1 fairy wrasse *6-12 months
- 1 Kole eye tang (maybe) *6-12 month

Cleanup Crew *to be staggered 1M/3M as algae/fish load grows
- 10 hermit crabs (will buy empty shells as well)
- 1 emerald crab
- 6 Trochus snails
- 6 Cerith snails
- 5 Astrea snails
- Copepod packs

Coral - add gsp/simple zoa 1-2M and ease into the rest
- GSP
- Zoas
- Clove polyps
- Toadstool/Sinularia leathers
- Euphyllia
- Kenya Tree
- Red cap monti

My main concern with the list is the lighting, with either set would it be enough for zoa/softies as the depth is ~24inches on the 300XL. Upgrading either adds a significant cost ~$600CAD more. Overall budget target is $5000 (before livestock) and im about there now per my spreadsheet based on buying all new. Once the move is done, i can keep an eye out for sales/local groups for some used stuff.

Thank you in advance, and i look forward to making a build thread within a few months!

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would go with a ATB Nano One skimmer.
You would be fine with one AI Hydra 32HD and could grow SPS with it. It would also be cheaper cost then the 2 16's have it 15" above the water.
Stay away from Kenya Tree, it is like a weed and can take over your entire tank.

Last edited:

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1619552609662.png

OP
OP
LucentFish

LucentFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would go with a ATB Nano One skimmer.
You would be fine with one AI Hydra 32HD and could grow SPS with it. It would also be cheaper cost then the 2 16's have it 15" above the water.
Stay away from Kenya Tree, it is like a weed and can take over your entire tank.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will for sure look into doing the AI Hydra 32 over the two 16's, i do like the lower overall price by $100-200, would it be an issue though on the spread of the tank and low par on the sides? I guess it depends on the how the aquascaping turns out, my plan is to do two islands. So thats where 2 16's would be placed over them.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome:

1st you mentioned Condo - if you are on any floor except the 1st Consider weight of Fully Stocked Tank (Base, Tank with Water and Aquascaping and All equipment) - The 80 Gallon tank/Sump you describe would be about 600 lbs that's with out base, Equipment, Lights, Aquascaping etc. Just a thought. From looking at your post - you have done you homework. I would just say at this point if you have any further questions we are here to help.

OP
OP
LucentFish

LucentFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Its actually a condo townhouse and the tank will be on the basement level, so no worries there! :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back