Future cycle recommendations

Jget61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm currently building out a refurbished 150 gallon aquarium. I've slowly been chipping away at it and acquiring equipment along the way. Covid and unemployment has definitely slowed me down. But I've been doing my best. What I have so far:

-150 gallon drilled dual overflow aquarium
-Four Hydra 52s
-170lbs of Marco Rock
-160lbs of Ocean Direct live sand
-Tropic Marin pro reef salt
-4 stage RO/DI system

55 gallon diy sump
-Dual filter socks
-Fennix 300 watt heater
-Coralife 9 watt UV sterilizer (I know it's undersized unfortunately)
-DIY algea scrubber
-Current USA eflux return pump 1900gph
-ATO system (don't know the brand)
-20 gallon ATO reservior
-Tropic Marin three part balling system

I plan on getting:

-Dual icecap gyre 2k for flow
-Simplicity 240DC protein skimmer
-Doser (unsure which brand im going with yet)

With that said, I haven't cycled a tank in forever and was wondering if anyone had an insight on the best cycle regiment. I know this is always up for debate and sorry if this post is redundant especially on this forum. But knowledge is power and you all are amazing. My main concern is, ill be moving my live stock from my 90 gallon tank which I'm very attached to. Especially my sailfin tang (Cyndi) that has been through hell and back (velvet, ich, power outages, moves, and even HURRICANES lol) so I'd be heart broken if I lost her or anyone for that matter. I guess this post is more from a concerned fish daddy perspective then anything. I would like the best possible habitat for my babies which is why I'm reaching out for advice, if possible.

-Thank you all in advance,
James

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is what ill be doing on my build. scape a bunch of dry rock i have with EMACRO. put it in containers with RO and a power head leave it for a few weeks in the dark.
then i will put it in the display with saltwater and pure ammonia until it gets to 2PPM check daily and add as needed.
once the tank can go from 2PPM to zero in 24 hours. after that i will add fish food and order about 10lbs of real live rock with lots of life and add that to tank. wait about 2 weeks just feeding fish food then interduce first fish.
this will take much longer then a normal quick cycle but i am not in a hurry.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm currently building out a refurbished 150 gallon aquarium. I've slowly been chipping away at it and acquiring equipment along the way. Covid and unemployment has definitely slowed me down. But I've been doing my best. What I have so far:

-Four Hydra 52s
-170lbs of Marco Rock
-4 stage RO/DI system

55 gallon diy sump
-Dual filter socks
-Fennix 300 watt heater
-DIY algea scrubber
-20 gallon ATO reservior

I plan on getting:

With that said, I haven't cycled a tank in forever and was wondering if anyone had an insight on the best cycle regiment. I know this is always up for debate and sorry if this post is redundant especially on this forum. But knowledge is power and you all are amazing. My main concern is, ill be moving my live stock from my 90 gallon tank which I'm very attached to. Especially my sailfin tang (Cyndi) that has been through hell and back (velvet, ich, power outages, moves, and even HURRICANES lol) so I'd be heart broken if I lost her or anyone for that matter. I guess this post is more from a concerned fish daddy perspective then anything. I would like the best possible habitat for my babies which is why I'm reaching out for advice, if possible.

James
if you have a tank with live rock you can add the live rock and fish and about half the water to the new tank. then cure more rock to add later. its basically a tank transfer where you don't need to cycle the tank. just transfer every thing except sand from old tank. watch for mini cycle and have prime ready. sorry my first post i didn't read the whole the thing

OP
OP
J

Jget61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is what ill be doing on my build. scape a bunch of dry rock i have with EMACRO. put it in containers with RO and a power head leave it for a few weeks in the dark.
then i will put it in the display with saltwater and pure ammonia until it gets to 2PPM check daily and add as needed.
once the tank can go from 2PPM to zero in 24 hours. after that i will add fish food and order about 10lbs of real live rock with lots of life and add that to tank. wait about 2 weeks just feeding fish food then interduce first fish.
this will take much longer then a normal quick cycle but i am not in a hurry.
I'm in the same boat, ive been acquiring and building for about 6-7 months (financial constraints) but I am not in a hurry as well. Ive waited this long. Whats another couple of months lol.
if you have a tank with live rock you can add the live rock and fish and about half the water to the new tank. then cure more rock to add later. its basically a tank transfer where you don't need to cycle the tank. just transfer every thing except sand from old tank. watch for mini cycle and have prime ready. sorry my first post i didn't read the whole the thing
No worries, my only concern with bringing over live rock from my 90 gallon is possibly introducing ich. Which it had back in September/ November. Everything's been healthy since but it does make me a little hesitant.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat, ive been acquiring and building for about 6-7 months (financial constraints) but I am not in a hurry as well. Ive waited this long. Whats another couple of months lol.

No worries, my only concern with bringing over live rock from my 90 gallon is possibly introducing ich. Which it had back in September/ November. Everything's been healthy since but it does make me a little hesitant.
where is the sailfin tang? is it not in the 90GAL

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Four Hydra 52s
-170lbs of Marco Rock
-4 stage RO/DI system

55 gallon diy sump
-Dual filter socks
-Fennix 300 watt heater
-DIY algea scrubber
-20 gallon ATO reservior

I plan on getting:

James
Start cycling the rock right now. Throw it in a brute can with some saltwater, a powerhead, heater and a piece of raw shrimp.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, she's currently there.
well if the fish is in there then the putting the rock in the new tank wont be any different unless your going to QT before you transfer her.
even if the fish looks clean she still has it. just keep her well feed or do a QT and cycle new rock

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kershaw said, you can pretty much do a direct transfer. i like to have a large jug of fritzyme 9 on hand just in case, its like prime plus the cycling bacteria

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For set up with only dry rock. Set the tank up, fill with fresh saltwater. Add pure ammonia to 2ppm. Add Fritz Turbo Start and Microbacter Start XLM per instructions. You should have zero ammonia in 24-48 hours. Redose ammonia to 2ppm and recheck ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours. If zero for both you are cycled. May need a water change because nitrate may be high.

Only way I will cycle in the future unless I have access to real live rock.

OP
OP
J

Jget61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if the fish is in there then the putting the rock in the new tank wont be any different unless your going to QT before you transfer her.
even if the fish looks clean she still has it. just keep her well feed or do a QT and cycle new rock
I do have a jbj 45 bare bottom set up for a qt but thats been a debate due to no experience qt-ing before. I figured I'd use it more for observation when I purchased new live stock.

OP
OP
J

Jget61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if you have one but i would by a temperature controller
I will definitely look into this. My current 90 gallon stays at 81 degrees year round without the heater on. The only time the heater turns on is when florida actually has has cold snap and im too cheap to turn the heater on lol. I had to add fans to bring the temperature down to 78 degrees

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the new tank being set up where the old one was? If not you can begin taking everything offline and just transfer the rocks and corals to the new tank. Then run the first tank barebones and low water level as a qt.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fans can also connect to the controller and turn either the fan or heater on and off when needed

OP
OP
J

Jget61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the new tank being set up where the old one was? If not you can begin taking everything offline and just transfer the rocks and corals to the new tank. Then run the first tank barebones and low water level as a qt.
I've never thought of that!!!! The 150 is on the otherside of the house in the living room for viewing purposes of course lol

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulk reef supply has them, but the cheaper inkbird temperature controller on amazon works well (what I use) it is annoying that it doesnt go down to half degrees like the BRS one though

OP
OP
J

Jget61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulk reef supply has them, but the cheaper inkbird temperature controller on amazon works well (what I use) it is annoying that it doesnt go down to half degrees like the BRS one though
I'll take what I can get. I've been fortunate enough to barter/trade for almost everything I have for this set up. But I know my luck is running out soon. The inkbird is definitely reasonably priced. I just checked it out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back