Fuzzy algae and tube worms

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was moving a couple things around the tank today and picked up a rock that is sorta bowl shaped.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I haven't really moved this rock in a couple weeks and it has very little flow/light going under it but it is right under the return line and next to a power head. When I picked it up and looked underneath I found this.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Iv also noticed a tube worm living on one of my snails shells. Are these a bad thing? And what is the fuzzy stuff?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking your rock was once a coral, that died and was covered in coralline, but has since taken on a nasty algae. I would take that out and scrape some of that off with a toothbrush or something.

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking your rock was once a coral, that died and was covered in coralline, but has since taken on a nasty algae. I would take that out and scrape some of that off with a toothbrush or something.

I will try that, but most of the Coraline on this rock is fresh it was barely purple when I got it and has sense gotten a really bright purple to it.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try that, but most of the Coraline on this rock is fresh it was barely purple when I got it and has sense gotten a really bright purple to it.

Sorry to say you won't see the purple for much longer if it's left alone. Sometimes it can die off, but......

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algae
Kind of a pain to handle but members of a good clean up crew may help with it

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back