Soft tubing return line and a check valve

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use soft tubing running up the back of my tank for my return line and am wondering how to implement the check valve into it, would I have to Frankenstein something together with spigot barb adapters?

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
would I have to Frankenstein something together with spigot barb adapters?
Not at all. What return pump are you using does it have a threaded output? You want the check valve as close to the pump as possible.

I should as what's your goal with the check valve?

It will not prevent a flood long-term if your sump cannot handle the backflow volume during a power outage. A properly sized sump does not need a check valve on the return line.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump doesn't use hose barbs or threads. Kinda a poor design. What size is the output? Quick google search it doesn't even specify. Why did you choose that pump?
I didnt, its a 3/4 barb fitting and I got everything from someone who didnt want it anymore

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use soft tubing on my return with a 3/4” ball valve spliced in.

It’s not a fail safe device, that’s really not needed with a proper size sump. It’s original purpose was to dial down the output for an ac return pump. You can also use it to prevent a back flow (convenient, but not necessary) if you need to disconnect your return pump for cleaning.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use soft tubing for the return. No check valve but I did drill a siphon break in the return U.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use soft tubing on my return with a 3/4” ball valve spliced in.

It’s not a fail safe device, that’s really not needed with a proper size sump. It’s original purpose was to dial down the output for an ac return pump. You can also use it to prevent a back flow (convenient, but not necessary) if you need to disconnect your return pump for cleaning.
Do I need to cement the drain lines inside the tank to the bulkhead?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flex tubing goes on a slip connector on the return pump and the bulkhead on the bottom glass also has a slip connector I use two hose clamps on the tank side to ensure water doesn’t leak and the connection is tight.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proper use of a check valve in a vertical pumping situation is twofold.

1 - to prevent high velocity backflow from turning a pump armature backwards. This can damage equipment (power surge) or (in some cases) unscrew the impeller.

2 - to keep the system primed and prevent large power-on surges of water and air.

When check valves are use to prevent flooding, the flood will inevitably happen, as check valves leak or fail with almost 100% certainty.

If you don't need to use a check valve, then don't use one. If you need a check valve to prevent flooding, then you need to redesign the system to prevent flooding without it.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flex tubing goes on a slip connector on the return pump and the bulkhead on the bottom glass also has a slip connector I use two hose clamps on the tank side to ensure water doesn’t leak and the connection is tight.
1711207954382.png
if i do something like this, do I need to glue the pipes into the top portion, the intake spot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back