Check valve noise and vibration

andrek787

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I picked up a pair of true union ball check valves from my LFS to use for a redundant return pump setup. After I put together the plumbing and started leak testing, I discovered that the valves produce a terrible chattering noise and vibrate when under flow from a pump. The valves are identical to what CoralVue sells as "Springless Check valve", pump is Sicce SDC 6.0 and is isolated by 1ft silicone hose section. Both check valves suffer from this issue. Am I missing something?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are the type with a plasic ball they will always make noise.
You need the flapper style and they will have no noise. If they are the flapper type they should be silent. Running to high of flow may cause them to vibrate too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flappers are better.

Any of them need checked yearly and often replaced. They don't last long if you expect them to actually stop lots of water. The longevity depends, but just don't depend on them alone unless you check them quite often.

OP
OP
A

andrek787

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they have a heavy plastic ball inside. I have used the clear flapper valve from BRS on the last tank, but was recommended to use these ball-type by LFS. Do the Wye-type check valves suffer from the vibration issue?

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they have a heavy plastic ball inside. I have used the clear flapper valve from BRS on the last tank, but was recommended to use these ball-type by LFS. Do the Wye-type check valves suffer from the vibration issue?
My wye check valves vibrated slightly when freshly installed. They stopped once a slime coat formed on everything. Completely silent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back