My first reef tank, 110 Gallons!

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first (saltwater) tank yesterday, I picked it up from someone who is leaving the hobby and they gave me all of their stuff, it is a lot. If someone wants the full list I could give it. If you have any tips/tricks I should know please feel free to leave them down below. My hopes are for a mixed reef in the future, my first coral i will probably get some zoas as they are my favorite

Last edited:

AlyciaMarie

Mrs. Gumbies R Us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reefing so I'm not sure that I have a good answer for your questions. But I can't wait to see your build! So cool you got all that stuff too. Good luck!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post your equipment if you want some tips and tricks. We don't know you or your experience. You were smart enough to come here before the problems start so you have that going for you. The more you share the more we can make sure that you have a smooth journey. Most people don't make it 6 months in the hobby which allows is to pickup like new gear for pennies on the dollar. It can be pretty hard for new people, but with a lot of patience and some key metrics to milestone, you can have a lifetime of stress-free reefing that requires no more than two hours of total maintenance per month.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your equipment if you want some tips and tricks. We don't know you or your experience. You were smart enough to come here before the problems start so you have that going for you. The more you share the more we can make sure that you have a smooth journey. Most people don't make it 6 months in the hobby which allows is to pickup like new gear for pennies on the dollar. It can be pretty hard for new people, but with a lot of patience and some key metrics to milestone, you can have a lifetime of stress-free reefing that requires no more than two hours of total maintenance per month.
AquaC Protein Skimmer
Around 900 gph miscellaneous return pump
20 gallon qt tank w HOB
180 gpd rodi
Heaters
Miscellaneous 1 head doser
4 bulb 48” t5 fixture (2 blue, 2 white bulbs)
Powerhead (will probably be replaced, its the type to suck from bottom and spit out front)

I will replace the return pump with a ReefOctopus return pump when needed, as I was told the current return pump is on its last limb.

The substrate i will be using is 120 lbs of carib sea ocean direct, not the oolite version

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started around the same time as you but last year, so this is my first year in the hobby so far with my 120. I recommend you research the test kits you want and get them now. Don’t worry to much about the price unless you are going for a budget build. Also you should get the Pocket Marine app. It can be a lot easier to track your tanks inhabitants and progress. I wish I did this with my 120, but I did it with my 5 gallon. Another tip, Quarantine your fish no matter what.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started around the same time as you but last year, so this is my first year in the hobby so far with my 120. I recommend you research the test kits you want and get them now. Don’t worry to much about the price unless you are going for a budget build. Also you should get the Pocket Marine app. It can be a lot easier to track your tanks inhabitants and progress. I wish I did this with my 120, but I did it with my 5 gallon. Another tip, Quarantine your fish no matter what.
Yes Ive read about qt all fish. I was thinking this red sea test kit. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-marine-care-test-kit.html

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wrgoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes Ive read about qt all fish. I was thinking this red sea test kit. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-marine-care-test-kit.html
If you plan to stick around, just get Hanna checkers. All you need now is Phosphate, Nitrate and Copper. You shouldn't be dosing anything or running any reactors. You want to maintain .1 Phosphate and 10 Nitrate. Copper is for your Quarantine tank as I'm sure that you are aware. Never put any fish in your display without quarantining first. You can cut the QT time in half with two tanks. I used Tidal 55 HOB filters for my QT tanks. I keep bags of seachem Matrix in my sump so I can set it up ad hoc.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking some rubble for seeding but the sand just seems to coarse for my liking.
Sand would really help speed things up but rubble alone in your sump is a good plan. I'd cycle a tank this way for sure. Don't use bottled bacteria as you want the bacteria from the rubble to seed your rock. I'd wait 2 weeks before adding fish if I did this. I'd turn my lights on at about 6 weeks. You could add a couple Coral too if you wanted. Something hardy like zoas would probably be fine.

I recently setup a messaround tank with 50# dry rock and 4# liverock and added fish and coral on day one. The fish and coral were fine, however I got dinos on day 3. It seems to me that dinos are one of the strongest types of bacteria. Since the dryrock had no nutrients on it, it allowed the dinos to flourish and take hold first. I'm a seasoned pro so it didn't bother me, however dinos is the #1 cause of new people quitting. This is why I recommend letting that dryrock get a good base of good bacteria on it before you flip the lights on. Dinos requires light as do most algae strains.

Do some research on creating aquascapes. You can build some cool structures with some superglue and Reefsafe mortar.
20231224_150538.jpg
20231226_061201.jpg

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first (saltwater) tank yesterday, I picked it up from someone who is leaving the hobby and they gave me all of their stuff, it is a lot. If someone wants the full list I could give it. If you have any tips/tricks I should know please feel free to leave them down below. My hopes are for a mixed reef in the future, my first coral i will probably get some zoas as they are my favorite
My biggest advice is PATIENCE. I've had saltwater tanks on and off for years. This time I went kind of all out and got a Waterbox Infinia 230.6, AI lighting, a Reef Octopus 220 elite skimmer, Duetto2 ato, sicce return pump and duel Helio heater system. It's just finished cycling the old fashioned way (with a peice of flounder filet - didn't have shrimp, but it worked) and have two little clown fish in there for now. I have the RedSea test kit. I think API is unreliable. As others said the Hanna Checkers are great and I plan to get those. Just don't rush the process. It takes a while for a tank to mature. It will be much less expensive in the long run if you take your time. Good luck!

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to stick around, just get Hanna checkers. All you need now is Phosphate, Nitrate and Copper. You shouldn't be dosing anything or running any reactors. You want to maintain .1 Phosphate and 10 Nitrate. Copper is for your Quarantine tank as I'm sure that you are aware. Never put any fish in your display without quarantining first. You can cut the QT time in half with two tanks. I used Tidal 55 HOB filters for my QT tanks. I keep bags of seachem Matrix in my sump so I can set it up ad hoc.
Can you explain more with 2 qt?

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS also has a video on a simple quarantine protocol for fish. If you are getting any tangs (Or any fish of greater size) I would get a 40-gallon QT tank unless you are getting smaller ones.
if my lfs has quarantine protocols will I still need to qt?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back